Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: neem oil  (Read 1533 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
neem oil
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:03 am »
Anyone in love with neem oil?  Sounds good but does it work?  (bugs on veggies)

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: neem oil
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:01:49 am »
Here's what I think:
 It's like most of these miracle 'cure all' fads that appear. Absolutely no sound scientific evidence of success. It's just smelly oil. Other than that it's all a load of hype and marketing. The same as Tea tree oil, Aloe vera, Ginkgo, Ginseng, royal jelly, bee pollen propolis etc The one that gets me is Manuka honey, it's got a foul taste and they get big surpluses in New Zealand and Australia, so they market it as a health product; that can cure all ills. It's the only way they can shift it. Just like Neem oil the internet gets bombarded with bogus claims of it curing almost everything.
Back to the question A smelly oil will probably clear bugs but so will one hundred and one other things. Personally I don't put anything on my veggies. The only thing I find I can't grow is Rocket/Roquet, it gets eaten completely. Everything else generally does okay. 

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
Re: neem oil
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:54:42 am »
I use neem for al-sorts and find it works, I use it to spray the hen house against mite, not tried it on the veggies though, but try it for your self. We use it on the dogs/cats/hens/Us on minor cuts and scrapes and it works fine. Not all natural products are all internet hype and most have a long history of use, would people keep using them if they didn't work. I use lots of Oils everyday in my other life as an Aromatherapist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4916044.stm

something that i had suggested for bugs was to boil lettuce leaves let the water cool completely and use that to spray the veggies, somthing to do with the opiate content of the lettuce :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS