Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to kid???  (Read 2070 times)

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
Where to kid???
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:37:22 pm »
Hi all,

My Nanny pygmy is due to kid end of next month and I'm in a quandry where and how to kid her. I want her inside in a pen so I can keep an eye on her and she doesn't kid on the bank outside, but she has a freind (another nanny pygmy) and I'm unsure howthe freind will react to the kid if I pen them together. What do others do? Keep friends togther or keep them apart and have her fed up for a short time?

The other nanny is barren and so not in kid. She's also almost certain to get out of the hurdles and cause my blood pressure to go through the roof.

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Where to kid???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »
After a few re designs we now have separate pens for most of the goats - timber with a weld mesh top - so the goats can see their neighbours but not touch. Each pen has an adjoining door which can be opened during the day to let everyone wander all the pens but at night they are shut so everyone (almost) is separate and can be fed individually. Once a nanny is due to kid I have alway found them 'getting ready' in a pen and I would then shut them in. In your situation I would try and separate her and if the others can see her but not get to her then I would think that would be best. Sometimes it takes Mum a wee bit of time to get used to the kids drinking so the less distractions the better. Best of luck and pictures please - love pictures of kids.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:48:23 am »
In my experience it is better to seperate them but allow them to see each other.  Our older Nanny realy took against her daughter's kid this year and would even try to butt him through the partition.  In nature a goat about to kid will take herself off away from the herd the same as most animals.
It's always better to be safe than sorry anyway.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:47 am »
My girls...given the choice... would choose to be in my kitchen !!!   Its warm, no draughts & somebody to look after the kids... perfect !!!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:58:30 pm »
Lol, I suggested this to hubby when ours were due to kid and he said no - how unreasonable!

Seriously, I kid ours in a secure pen with a wire mesh side so the others are still 'with' them but can't get at the kids to start with. Helped Rowan, last year's kid, cope with mum having two new babies now  ;) She slept the other side of the partition and Ellie put up with this after a token protest.

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :love: Especially the kitchen, I have visions of a goats head stuck in the bread bin!

After looking at her paddock and sheds again we'll move the chucks around so she can be kept in her own pen whilst being able to see her mate, who will no doubt try and throw herself over the hurdles, just because she can. I swear if we'd had that goat first we'd NEVER had more Pygmies!!!  :dunce:

The hurdles are the aluminium ones we use for lambing so my expectant mum can have her hay rack and a view. Will post piccies when the kid/s arrive.

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS