Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig ID numbers  (Read 2853 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Pig ID numbers
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:17:45 pm »
The more I read the more confused I am as to what exactly to tattoo, or notch, or ear tag on our piglets.   I wrote to the BPA for clarification but they have not replied.   There was a very long discussion a couple of months ago but it was primarily about marks for slaughter and the different rules in Scotland and England.   What I need to know is what numbers/letters to use for ID purposes.

For the Saddlebacks (brand new litter of 10 arrived on Sunday morning, all doing fine), if we notch the system is designed for numbers only and no letters.    So how does my Saddleback pig with, say, number 14 get identified from any other Saddleback from a completely different herd also with number 14?    Our pedigree Tamworth sow came to us with a 3 digit number tattooed in one ear, but no HDL letters, so, like the Saddleback, she could presumably be confused with another Tamworth with that same number.    Even though I could tattoo both our HDL letters and the individual pig number in our litter of 10 Tamworths, it all seems very inconsistent as Saddlebacks can only have numbers.

I have also been looking at the plastic tags, and it would seem that the logical thing to do would be to print the herd number AB1234 on one side, then the HDL + specific pig number on the other - this would be a very comprehensive ID.   Problem here is that if we sell any of our piglets, which we are hoping to do as 22 pigs is more than we have space for, the next owner is stuck with our herd number on the ear tag, not his own, which he would need if he were to take them to slaughter.    Or, perhaps, have one ear tag with the HDL and individual number, and the other with just the herd number, as the BPA book very unhelpfully says the two tags "can be the same or different", but no further details.

Finally, is it allowed to allocate specific numbers to each of the piglets, but not actually notch or tattoo or tag them at all until they leave your property, either as grown pigs going to slaughter when they could be slap marked instead, or when they get sold on to someone else?   Some of ours are definitely not registration quality, so will not be any use for showing or breeding in the future where the ID would obviously be necessary.   

In a nutshell - what letters/numbers/herd marks do you all use - on (a) black eared pigs and (b) orange eared pigs - thanks in advance - Tamsaddle

robert waddell

Re: Pig ID numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:20:53 pm »
in Scotland you get allocated a herd number for pigs (sheep and cattle have a different number) that is if you have asked them
now if you are a member of the BPA and are going to breed pigs they allocate you a herd no designated with in our case 3 letters that identifies you as the breeder then your piglets go on a rolling number bassis starting from 1
so now you have two means of id for your pigs pedigree and non pedigree
tattoo should have your id and the pigs number if not it is wrong this can be backed up with tags to enable you to id the pigs easier
notching is just the numbers with a tag showing herd number and pig number  :farmer:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:02:11 pm by robert waddell »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:53:15 am »
Thanks Lillian - I think I will go ahead and order tags with our 3 letter, BPA-allocated, HDL letters + pig number, but exclude from the tag our Defra-allocated herd number (AB1234 version) which is what we have on our slap marker.     Then we could just add the notch, or tattoo, only on the good registrable pigs, but first I will have to find someone experienced down here to help (south coast of England) as we are far too chicken to try either out by ourselves in the first instance.   Pity all of you writing on this forum live at the opposite end of the universe to me, up there in the far north!

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »
I breed Tamworths and I usually only tattoo the ones which meet the breed standard with my BPA herd mark and their individual number.

Then meat pigs get a metal ear tag as they go for slaughter with defra herd number and individual id.

I took a sow to a show last weekend, she had a tattoo in her ear but i had to yellow button tag her with my Defra herdmark for movement regs.

Are you a member of the Tamworth breeders club, http://www.tamworthbreedersclub.co.uk/6.html  The secretary Lucy Hick can be contacted to help you with members near you who may be willing to help. We are in Kent.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS