Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dartmoor crosses  (Read 2889 times)

waterhouse

Dartmoor crosses
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:55:07 pm »
Has anyone got experience of crossing Greyface Dartmoors?  We love the easy lambing of the Dartmoor but we don't have a ram or access to one, and the breed society doesn't appear to function.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Dartmoor crosses
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:01 am »
Years ago I had a dartmoor ram given to me....crossed him with all sorts very successfully! More recently had a few ewes in the flock and crossed them with my Dorset Down rams....very good results. When I sold them their new owner crossed them with a Charolais x wensleydale x gotland!!!!!......real heinz 57......but always very easy lambing
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:19:47 pm »
Have you thought of seeing if anyone will be showing at the agri shows this summer. That's how i found a local breeder for my wiltshire horns. He loans me a ram every year.

waterhouse

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
I think we're 100 miles from the nearest flock and  200 from Exeter where it all happens.  So we're looking for something a bit more accessible rather than a pure breed.  Easy lambing and tasty meat are the requirements

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS