Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog Whelks - How do you catch them  (Read 6615 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Dog Whelks - How do you catch them
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place, However I live 100 meters from Little Loch Broom and have my own boat.  Does anyone know how to catch these beasts.  I know they are not for everyone however with a bit of vinegar and black pepper I cant think of anything better.

Many thanks

Floyd

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Dog Whelks - How do you catch them
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:42:18 pm »
you need pots with bait. diffrent thing up here they are the inedable winkles.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:50:18 pm »
shetlandpaul, why are your winkles inedible?
 whelks are food of the gods!particularly when their still warm. ive a good m8 who dredges oysters on the fal, by hand, sustainably. he always gives me his whelks, greenback crab, well anything that isnt oysters tbh, he once brought me a dozen natives at 9am on boxing day, you just cant buy that! its always worth looking on the foreshore, take a hand fork and see what else you can find. most shellfish can be purged in abucket of fresh water with salt added and all of it can be eaten unless its from polluted water.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:14:47 pm »
i don't no why the winkles that have a pointed tip are not edible but the buyers don't want them.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:52 pm »
there about  £1/kg down here. thats me selling to a wholesaler, better just before xmas.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:51:32 pm »

Dog whelks are inter-tidal so you should be able to just pick them off the rocks, although commercially they are caught in pots.

If you've got a boat then you ought to be able to collect some decent mussels as well.

We're some way north of you, in KLB. Haven't seen too many whelks round here but we've loads and loads of winkles and mussels.

The River Cottage book 'Edible Seashore' is well worth buying.

Digitaria

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 02:52:30 pm »
Hello Guys, I am desperately looking for dog whelks in large quantity for a biblical dye's project.  The nucella lapilus releases a dye pre-cursor and was traditionally used for dyeing reddish purple and purple.

I need as many as I can get, any help is most appreciated.  I've tried seaching but it certainly seems you guys are in the know..

Lisa
lisa.keane@talk21.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS