Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: snow  (Read 18409 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
snow
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:05:08 pm »
Decided this morning to take my three ponies in off their hill field. They do have a field shelter but with this weather i felt life would be easier for them and myself if they were in the stables. Archie and Rory who are both colts have the large foaling box and Pitstop who is a gelding has his own stable. They do like being in, all I did this morning was put a head collar on Pitstop and let the other two follow. what a speed, the two colts were in their stable before i even reached the building. After giving them their breakfast they were more than happy to rest in the deep straw beds. The chickens are also in the building for the winter although on good days they come out. Being nosey birds they were up on the stable walls to look at what was going on, ponies faces were a picture and then the cat decided to join in so she was chased by the chickens for being in their space. I had to laugh. Cannot get to work today as our road is filling in fast and I am so glad that we are well stocked up in animal food. The cupboards in the kitchen are well stocked as is the freezer so at the moment all is well  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: snow
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 01:08:53 pm »
Well, we have a little snow in Clacks - but I'm glad I moved here now - never liked getting snowed in at Old Rayne!  Unless I had time to play with the dogs!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:54:47 pm »
Our horses are all in today. The yard Smokey's at don't allow them out if there's snow lying following an incident where youngsters ran through the white electric tape.

Smokey's OK - standing eating is his dream life. If he's in again tomorrow, I'll try and give him half an hour in the arena.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »
Hi

Ours are in today because of the snow,i am not worried about them being in the snow as they are very hardy but i was told that if they eat to much snow it can cause colic?

Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS