Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shearing machines  (Read 1779 times)

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
shearing machines
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:51:26 pm »
Hi all
I see there are a few threads on shearing lately,I wonder if anyone can help me.
I ve been on the wool board training course,which i would recommend.I was a complete novice but now feel I have the confidence to do my own,Slowly!!
I ,m thinking of buying a motor in hand piece machine .Horners do  one at £130  called the "smallholder" has anyone got one or similar and how do you find it?
.I only have 12 ewes to do
any thoughts welcome

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: shearing machines
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:50:27 pm »
Hi,

For 12 the Horner machine would be the best, I have a similar one which I use for small flocks and the only problem I have is they tend to run quite warm after a few sheep but if you aren't planning on doing them all at once then it should be ok.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »
Yes we have one of those, and now that our flock is coming up to about 25 to clip we have not used it in the last two years (I prefer to do a few ones by hand, as I find the machine is just too unwieldy in my hands). We are thinking of selling ours - whereabouts are you?

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:10:24 am »
thanks guys for the advise i think i will go ahead and get a machine,Anke I'm some way from you ,down in yorkshire so Not feasible to look at your machine
Thanks again

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:39:35 am »
Ive always sheared by hand but have just done the first 3 using electric Lister clippers which have the motor in the handpiece.

I found it a bit quicker than hand shearing but (prob due to ultra sharp blades and lack of experience) more brutal, with hand shearing I rarely nick anything, but with these it was hard to avoid a few nicks. BUT it was a lot easier on my arthritic fingers!

I could have done more than 3 (theres 20 odd to do in total) but this was just getting the boys done as they seem to attract the flies more as they are lazy and lie about all day.

Altho we could still have some cold nights the fleece was well risen already and the boys certainly looked happier nude, we also did their feet and crovected/clik'd (one of the two cant remember which) them to deter flies.

The girls will be done in the next few weeks too, once the lambies are a little bigger.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS