Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly struck calf.  (Read 6666 times)

AengusOg

Fly struck calf.
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:18:22 pm »
I've never seen fly strike in cattle before, but yesterday we brought a Highland heifer calf in for tagging and to clean its dirty bum. It had been observed flicking its tail a lot, and was found to have newly-hatched maggots in the milky dung which had stuck to its legs and tail.

A timely thorough wash down to remove the faeces, and treatment with spot-on, prevented any further problem, but another 24 hours would have seen the maggots into the flesh.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:14:10 am by Dan »

AengusOg

Re: Fly struck calf.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:28:17 pm »
Of course the title should read Fly struck calf ::)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:30:11 pm by AengusOg »

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Fly stuck calf.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »
I've seen fly strike in rabbits (not our own) and in sheep both of which seem to be particularly vulnerable. I've heard of  horses sometimes with it in their feet and I've come across injured cats that have had maggots in their injuries but I've not heard of it in cattle before reading this post. Good thing you caught it in time.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:04:45 am »
Youngstock can get it if dehorned - or have other wounds - in summer.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:45:55 am »
Horrid bloody things (wicks, not calves obviously  :D) Glad you caught it in time  :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »
I've heard of  horses sometimes with it in their feet

iv never heard that before, how odes that occur?

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »
Can be real common in hairer native breeds when summer calving. I've heard of maggots on the navels of summer born calves if the maggots are particularly bad at the time.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:57 pm »
glad you spotted this in time and hope all is well

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:02:38 pm »
I've heard of  horses sometimes with it in their feet

iv never heard that before, how odes that occur?

I think it is secondary to severe thrush or some other injury to the sole.
I have spent the last month in India and while I was there I saw maggots in cattle. One had them in a wound in its nose and another had maggots in its hoof and especially in the interdigital area. Apparently this is not uncommon when they are recovering from foot and mouth disease which has caused lesions to the feet.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:47 am »
maggots starting the foot is a common way of them infecting sheep. they get into the foot (usually attracted by foot rot) and then when the animal lies down the growing maggots transfer to the wool on the belly. On the other hand if the sheep has been shorn so they can't live on the body the maggots can do a really good job of eating out all the rot in the foot and actually aid the recovery of the animal from being lame.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS