Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animal Movement Certificate  (Read 3197 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Animal Movement Certificate
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »
Hi All

Hope everyone has had an enjoyable weekend, I am just about to sit the exam for the movement licence, it all looks fairly straight forward and common sense.
Any tips would be gratefully received cos going back to the classroom at 20years and 528 months of age is a bit daunting.

Thanks

waterhouse

Re: Animal Movement Certificate
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »
I've not taken it.  My accountant tells me that my smallholding is uneconomic, so moving sheep can't be part of an economic activity.  And our abattoir is about 10 miles away.

Good luck, and report back on what it's about

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:06:29 pm »
Right that settles it - no farm animals for me, I'm not doing any more exams for anyone!  I had no idea you had to do a test for this, I thought you just had to apply and if your premises and transport were approved you'd get it.  I'll just stick to ducks and chickens ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:03:19 am »
It's just a multiple choice test on a computer screen.  Being me I wanted to quible about some of the questions  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:06:14 am »
I've never heard of a test for the animal movement certificate and am certain I know no-one who has taken one.  It's not the Certificate of Competence for transporting animals that you are doing, is it markcott?  That is required for transporting animals more than 65km but less than 8 hours travel time.  

I am sure no test is required in order to fill in an Animal Movement Licence.  (It tests your patience, I know that!)

You're safe Annie - and you know you want sheep !   ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:24 am »
Sorry folks, did not give enough info to you, yes the certificate is for moving livestock over 65km and under 8 hours as a business activity.
If I have to go back to the classroom wonder if I can find me old school cap and short trousers!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:22:29 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

The 'under 8 hours' test is easy but the over 8 hours one is far more detailed, with a visit from the examiner and you have to demonstrate that you can load your animals onto a trailer, amongst other things.  We have managed to squeeze all our journeys into less than 8 hours as I have no intention of doing that one  :D  It's not that I can't load my sheep but inevitably they would misbehave on the test day, I just know it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
What the information for the "short Journey" test (<8hrs) guidance does not tell you is that, if you are driving as part of an economic activity, you may stray into the realms of the driver's hours regulations in the working time directive. For instance there are compulsory rest times, if your journey time is several hours. Something to look into, particularly if you drive a 4X4 with a horse box size trailer.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »
you can still move up to 4 animals without any time limit or restrictions and without a certificate of competence    providing there are an equal amount of people in the vehicle            moving animals for hire or reward is a totally different as you are a business :farmer:

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES AND HELPFUL ADVICE, YES IT WILL BE FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES AS WE ARE GIVING OURSELVES ANOTHER STRING TO OUR BOW. WILL LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS OF MY TEST (ONLY IF I PASS OF COURSE)!!!!!!!!!!!

fORTUNATELY AS A NEWLY RETIRED TRANSPORT MANAGER I AM UP SIDES WITH THE HOURS AND TOWING REGS. ETC.

THANKS AGAIN

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:25 am »
Good luck :hshoe: I hope it all goes well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS