Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping lambs?  (Read 15211 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Limping lambs?
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »
we've had 9 sheltand lambs this year and over the last week it seems almost every one of them has been limping for some reason.  No idea why and never had them limp so young previously.  The ewes generally limp if they've something caught in their feet or are overgrown, but the lambs are just babies.

we have caught them all up and trimmed feet but I'm really keen to know if others have had the same thing this year?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Limping lambs?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:08:44 pm »
I've had a couple and they have had there hooves trimmed and the little stones removed. It only seemed to happen after the rain and I was wondering if they have had a bit mud dry and it has rubbed them ???

ClaireF

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:28:45 pm »
It could be scald. Check between the cleats of their feet and they may be a bit weepy, smelly and sore. If you give them a spray with blue spray it'll usually sort out the problem. Young lambs shouldn't usuall need their feet trimmed or anthing.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »
Minedoesn't appear to be scald but they had a spray anyway just standard practice now, but my lambs hooves did need a trim which I think is the first time I have had to trim lambs hooves ever. The grass grew very quickly this year I wonder if this had anything to do with the increase in hoof growth as I have noticed that the horse is the same

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »
ellisr, yup same here.  never had to trim lambs feet before now but have checked them all and quite a few did need trimmed - plus their mum's who were only done a few weeks ago when the babes were born!  strngest thing.

haven't blue sprayed them but did check cleats and trimmed so might do that tomorrow.

reassuring to know that it's not just our ones :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »
We've had a lot of scald in lambs - the wet weather I think  :-\ The blue terramycin spray does the job  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:06:45 pm »
We have a handful limping too - will check for scald when we bring them all in tomorrow.  I don't think it's joint ill as it's only ever one foot and they are otherwise full of beans, but will check for heat in their knees as well.  I'm glad it's not just us.  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:41:05 am »
Also glad it's not just us! 

There's always a reason for scald, it seems - too dry, too wet, frosty, not enough grass, too much grass, too hot, too cold - so far I have been unable to found out exactly what conditions would not cause scald!

But like others on here, some of our limpy lambs this year there seems to be no cause.  So far mostly they have recovered over time.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:08:09 am »
Well we're as dry as a bone but the lambs feet all need trimming, some of them for the second time, but maybe that's just Dartmoors - our Welsh BM throwback has lovely feet.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51:08 am »
Yep, almost on a weekly basis one or two of the lambs are limping for a few days. some have scald, others are lame for no apparent reason.
Last year i had no lameness issues at all.
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 09:57:42 am »
We've had lots of scald in lambs this year but mainly our later lambs born April, we've got no long grass, so putting it down to weather.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:09:00 am »
We gathered all ours the other day. One had a mild bit of scald, easily treated.  The others had just slightly overgrown feet, but with very dry hard mud pushed hard up into the foot which would have been sore.  One little tup lamb is still causing us worry as he has two sore feet, one front, one back - nothing seen but he's still hobbling although bright enough in himself.  We will catch him (not easy without bringing in the whole flock again) and give him an antiB shot.  He is the only one left limping.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »
yes ours seem to have settled back down and didnt notice anyone limping this morning.  how strange though eh?

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:17:49 pm »
I had another good look at my lambs feet today! every single one of them has a ridge around the hoof at exactly the same place. i presume it is something to do with change of grass, or the stage a which they started eating grass. I can see this causing lameness?
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 02:54:34 pm »
checked the feet over on my lot when they came in for shearing - I dagged them at the beginning of April and trimmed their feet then, but each one needed trimming again and some of them needed some 'extensive' work doing!  The lambs (born end of Jan/beginning of Feb) also needed doing, but they all had scald when they were first turned out.  Craziness!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS