Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ouessants, Shetlands and/or Portlands  (Read 2924 times)

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
Ouessants, Shetlands and/or Portlands
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »
Having seen and read threads about Ouessants and Shetlands I getting very tempted to start a flock of one of them. We have seven Portlands at the moment but they cannot keep up with the grass (2 acres) we have not fed them, except the ewes after lambing and they are all fat! Three of the older ewes (barren this year and 10) are destined for the freezer and we have tree entire rams that I will either keep together with the ram or else they will join the older ewes. That would leave me with three ewes and a ram - so might get them serviced and then try to sell him. So either I could rebuild the Portlands with bought in ewes -possibly at hoof or could I combine different flocks of ewes. Any thoughts about mixing them and any ideas about where I would purchase any? we live in Somerset

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Ouessants, Shetlands and/or Portlands
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:04:05 pm »
The only difficutly I can see with mixing the Ouessants is the size of ram used. Ouessants are not known as the worlds smallest breed of sheep without reason.
There  is no  odd perspective on this photo the lamb really is that small.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »
Sorry I did not mean to mix the breeds. but to keep Portland girls with either Shetland or Oussant girls with the possibility of the relevent chap for the breed visiting only when needed.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:19:52 pm »
oh I see, well I can't see any reason why not :)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »
i got some shetlands for sale maybe am in wiltshire where in somerset are you?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »
I've got three Portland ewe lambs born end of Jan/beginning of Feb and one born April 4th that will be up for sale soon.  You wouldn't be able to breed from them this season but next year they'll be good to go!

Hercules (Portland Ram extraordinaire) is also available for visits...  We had seven from seven in seven days once he started firing live rounds!  The late comer was from 'Blue bum' who is our craziest ewe and we were amazed he actually got his hooves on her!
 :sheep:
baa
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:01:53 pm by TheCaptain »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 05:57:16 pm »
Shearling....I am in Somerset and have a very nice flock of 30 Ouessants.....come over and see them and see what you think! 07857 670092 I may have one or 2 available!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS