Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Environmental impact of gritting roads in winter  (Read 8830 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Environmental impact of gritting roads in winter
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:33:09 am »
This arose from another topic and I thought it deserved its own thread.

We have observed significant damage to areas of hedge bank and field where the council put piles of grit in winter.  Makes us seethe; everyone wants to tell farmers how to care for their land, makes out that (without direction from defra) farmers would be the scourge of the environment, but when it comes to a bit of popular inconvenience all that goes out the window and they can kill of as much of our pasture as they like, apparently.   >:(

And we have wondered and worried about the effects of the gritty sludge draining into the watercourses, of which there are an abundance around here. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Environmental impact of gritting roads in winter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
Would agree with Sally's comments, we have seen hedges dying in parts where snow and salt melted into the ground and the salty residue appears to have killed the hedges, holly and some blackthorn seem particularly affected. We live about 1/2 mile off dual carriageway which was heavily salted/gritted as a main artery into the north, there was quite a bit of seemingly burnt grass which thankfully now we've had some rain is starting to recover.
Mandy  :pig:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:15:27 am »
We live on a small unclassified but hilly road which is nonetheless on the school bus route, a milk collection route and is a rat run for commuters.  This all means that it is very heavily salted, sometimes six times in one evening.  I have wondered about the amount of salt used and my OH complains every winter, but really the only damage we see is physical, when the snowploughs rip out stretches of fence because they can't see where the edge of the road is.  They also pile huge amounts of snow across our entrance which is inconvenient to say the least.  It is interesting that some of you are observing damage from the salt.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
I wish we'd stop gritting roads. And that people would put on appropriate tyres and drive appropriate cars.

I have friends who live in pretty, remote villages and then expect someone else to sort out their access to the nearest town. Surely if we choose to live in remote places (I do) then we take responsibility for being able get about. And that people who take school bus contracts etc. would have to commit to proper vehicles and tyres too.

Apart from the environmental cost, there's a high financial cost too!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:13:19 pm »
Absolutely agree with all of jaykay's comments regarding people who choose to live in remote areas. 

Around here we still, thankfully, have a considerable "indigenous population."  Only those who need 4x4s tend to drive them and the majority manage in small lightweight cars.  A significant proportion still rely on the (increasingly poor outside tourist season*) local bus services.

Quite a few locals do change tyres for the bad weather - but then the best snow tyres are not suitable for well-cleared roads, so people are forced to use the hybrid type which can handle the roads which have been cleared as well as the snowy/icy ones. 

*  Dang, I just found a reason to be glad we have tourists around here!  
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:11 pm »
No-one is terribly bothered by grit because it mostly washes away and the surge in salt levels in the treatment plants is very short.  But "mostly" leaves a lot of salt on verges and fields, and it is harmful.

In Sweden you're obliged to fit winter tyres in winter, but they do have rather more serious winters than most of the UK.  I'm not convinced that 4wd buses are going to be bought by anyone, what with disabled access and so on also being required.  I think the cheaper option of cancelling the service would be taken.  Round here I don't know anyone else who owns tyre chains.

I suspect the real problem is that the enormous growth of the supermarkets and the necessary logistics means that supermarket shelves would empty and the consequences for politicians would be traumatic.  We've allowed so much to be centralised in the name of cheap food that there's no real alternative any longer.

Years ago my great-aunt Ada routinely got snowed-in for a month on the moors above Kirkby Stephen but had the supplies to deal with it
but that was when Shap closed most years as well.  

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:18:14 pm »
Where did she live Waterhouse. KS is my nearest place and we get snowed in each winter, not for a month fortunately  :)

waterhouse

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:29:30 am »
My great-aunt Ada Brogden married a railway man and lived in a cottage somewhere up one of the lines out of KS.  She had to cross one of the big viaducts to get to it which she said was always scary even when not windy.  That's all I know about the location, but she kept a pig out there.  She did say that she threw her shopping from the train into her front garden once to avoid carrying it a couple of miles back but never found the joint.  She was a long-time Sunday school teacher in KS.  As kids we had holidays with her and with cousin Norman in Sebergham.  

After she retired she lived in one of a pair of tiny cottages on the main road a quarter of a mile south of the church next to the Vet and backing onto Croglam Lane.  The pair have been converted to one and are occupied by the retired vet - I barged in last year and asked.  She got TB in her late 20's but lived to over 90: a very tough lady.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »
I saw the result of some toxicity  tests a farmer was doing for his public open day on growing countryside plants , at the road side site tests salt killed far more than Round up and most other weed killers as well as lasting far longer in the soil.  So all being all the concentrations at the roadside that's been salted will hammer everything in range untill it gets massively diluted by water and more water.  Plants in streams might not suffer so much but it does make you think about the effect on fish and molluscs etc. for miles down stream.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 03:02:15 pm »
Defra says that the increase in salinity downstream is of short duration and they think it does little short term damage and no long term damage.  But I think they focus entirely on salt washing off roads into drains rather the stuff that's gone into the soil.  Could be a much bigger issue in the arid deserts of East Anglia than in the North or South West where, I understand, rain has been seen this year.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »
Waterhouse, the railway line through KS is the Settle-Carlisle line. I'm guessing from the 'snowed in' comments she probably lived in Mallerstang which is where I live  :) It's south but uphill from KS. There is a railway cottage that fits your description  :) The other possibility is north, Crosby Garrett.

waterhouse

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 03:32:55 pm »
She talked about Mallerstang a lot so that fits.  There was another relative always known as "Nellie of Crosby Garrett" so pretty sure it wasn't there

Utterly lovely place and my emotional home.  I used to play in the river at Stenkrith and Water gate bottom.  Trouble is I'm London born and brought up so a complete foreigner.  

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 05:55:24 pm »
Oh yes, Stenkrith is at the KS end of the Mallerstang road and 'watter-yat' common is where Mallerstang begins. It's currently (the common) covered in vardos (bow-top) gypsy caravans as the gathering has started for the Appleby Horse Fair, they've been coming through all day - very picturesque  :)

It's wild here but incredibly beautiful  :)

I will take a photo of where I think she may have lived next time I go past.

There are lots of foreigners about, including me - very well tolerated if you're seen to work hard and learn from the local farmers. We earned our stripes fencing for two days in 'four sets of waterproofs' rain - we were considered then to be worth speaking to  :D and since then, local folk couldn't have been nicer.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:57:13 pm by jaykay »

waterhouse

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 07:17:42 pm »
Being a southern softie I couldn't bring myself to write watter yat: had to translate it.

My apologies to everyone for hi-jacking this thread with a journey down memory lane: meant a lot to me.  I suppose stuff does when you get older

waterhouse

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:13:26 pm »
OH has pointed out that the willows we planted nearest to the main road have been blasted while she's found examples of a plant growing in the verge which is normally only found in coastal areas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS