Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Non chemical alternative flystrike treatment  (Read 4235 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Non chemical alternative flystrike treatment
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
I know that there's a thread about this somewhere on here but I can't find it!!  So apologies if I'm asking anyone to repeat themselves here.

I need to find a  non chemical treatment to prevent flystrike for my Bowmonts as I'll be selling the fleeces for processing/spinning.  Can anyone recommend a product and/or supplier.

Many thanks!   

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Non chemical alternative flystrike treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:03:40 pm »
I don't know about flystrike prevention but neem oil has proved great for anti-midge , fly , mites with the goats (and me too!)  Smells vile, but you get used to it

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »
I have used the Barrier spray product as a short term repellant, but couldn't recommend it as a long term solution.  I use Crovect on my Wiltshires, but just keep a very close eye on my Shetlands as like you I use the fleeces.

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/general-health-products-c-33_108.html

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:15:30 pm »
I only dagg the ewes backend quite wide after lambing and so far have found that if backend is clean I do not get flystrike early on. Mine are usually clipped in mid June, then treated afterwards when fleece is abit growing again. I think vigilance will be the only solution.

Caroline: I found with the Bowmonts that the fleece doesn't lift the same way a shetland for example does, so they need very sharp clippers and a good shearer (or I did them myself with a bit of patience and a cold drink nearby...)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:44:52 am »
Thanks everyone.  The neem oil sounds like a good option.  Hope the smell isn't too abhorrent.  I'll  have to get something sorted as soon as possible as we've had two cases of flystrike this weekend - all due to be sheared very soon, but the weather has turned cold and wet last couple of days.

Anke, I know just what you mean now about the Bowmonts being difficult to shear.  Not only are they hard to catch, but Nigel has had a serious hard time dagging them, even though we've got some new Lister shears.  There was plenty of unacceptable language flying around. :D.  Nigel is learning how to shear, but we don't think he'll be good enough this year given than we now have around 40 which need shearing (we have purchased 6 more Bowmonts in the last month from Mrs. Campbell.)  I don't think his back would last out at the speed he goes at the moment.  I will have to warn the shearers of the difficulty when they get to the Bowmonts.  Cheers. 
Caroline. 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »
I LOVE this forum, I get to learn so much new stuff.  I had never really heard of Bowmonts, but a bit of googling later I am a better informed person

All the best
Sue   ;D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:16:01 pm »
I only use hand clippers to dagg and also when I am shearing them. My Carpal tunnel gets bad quicker with the electric ones, as I am holding them differently... and I really love the quietness of clipping if the weather is nice.... Having said that most of mine will get clipped on Wednesday, weather permitting, as with over 30 to do now it would take me forever to do... and I really want to get most of my shetland fleeces off in one go and send them off to get carded and some of them spun.

I left one of the Bowmont/Shetland X wethers so that I can get his fleece, hopefully it will be nice.

Have the Bowmonts produced female lambs this year?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:46:49 pm »
Yes, we've had some lovely ewe lambs this year thanks.  From the Bowmonts we bought from you last year we had two single ewe lambs and two with twins, one ewe, one ram each.  The Dorset/Bowmont cross has turned out really well.  Both have Merino in them so it was a good cross which will hopefully produce a good fleece, although not as good as the pure Bowmont of course.  The additional six ewes (and a ram I might add!!!) purchased a few weeks ago from Mrs. Campbell all had ewe lambs at foot so we've quite a good size flock of them now.  I don't think I'll be crossing them again though.  That was never the plan, it was just due to the difficulty finding a decent Bowmont ram.  I already have people interested in buying my cross lambs.  There seems to be a good demand for sheep at the moment.  I've just sold all last years ewe lambs and I could have sold three times the amount, there were so many enquiries.   ;D

Hope the shearing goes well.

Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS