Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden milker update :0)  (Read 3217 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Maiden milker update :0)
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:36:15 am »
Just wanted to post this as when my girl Vanna decided to give us milk, I struggled to find info about maiden milkers on line so if anyone is in a similar situation, I'd hope that this might help them  :)
about 6 weeks ago I posted saying that my unmated/never kidded 2 year old girl was producing a little milk. After a visit from a local breeder we decided to try to let it dry up naturally while keeping an eye that her udder never got full or tight or hot due to her young age.
However savanna had other ideas, her udder became huge and within a week of first visit, my breeders friends exact words were "she's decided to give you milk, twice a day milkings for you then!!"
we've gradually upped her concentrates and she is being an angel standing in the stand considering she's never had kids.
those 'guinea pig' sized teats are now bigger (took a couple of weeks) and we are able to milk her easily.
currently around 4 pints of milk a day. Enough for the children to have on cereal and milkshakes (vanna milkshakes they are known as and my 4 year old prefers vanna milk because it comes strawberry flavoured!!) but we also have enough for my soap too - and it makes very good soap, very happy  :)
so, happy ending here!

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Maiden milker update :0)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:19 am »
Really glad to hear that savanna is still milking and can't wait to be able to get some of her soap ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »
bless her ... she goves you more milk maiden than our Geraldine does after twins!
*goes out to have give the goat a good talking too!*
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »
I still can't believe this has happened to be honest  :)  The initial sadness of losing our milker Avocet last autumn turned to panic about "how the heck can I run a goats milk soap business with no milking goat?!" quite quickly. Luckily Fay from the WIllowbank herd sold me lots of lovely toggenburg milk for a while which kept it in the family so to speak, being from Avocet's herd but then just as she was about to dry her goats out for kidding savannah came into milk. Fate works in strange *but wonderful* ways!! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:34:40 pm »
Well done, Savannah!!  Thats a lot of milk for a girl who has never kidded.  I have had two over the years who came into milk without kidding, but they only gave a couple of pints at the most.  Dried up in the Autumn. and started again come Spring.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:18 am »
Thanks Roxy  :) I've been really surprised by the quantity too, actually thought it would be just a couple of pints (which still would have been wonderful!) but its increasing all the time and she is looking really well and healthy still (according to the lady breeder who saw her yesterday)
I have a new in-kid nanny coming in the autumn so had kind of bargained on getting my milk from that nanny but looks like I might be milking two girls come next spring/summer if vanna comes into milk again next year..
by then my 'baby' scarlett will be at school so I can make more soap I suppose!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS