Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple Tree - Bark eaten...will it survive?  (Read 10323 times)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
Apple Tree - Bark eaten...will it survive?
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:49 am »
Hello All
I hope that someone can advise on what help I can give one of my apple trees.

We recently moved in to our new place which has an enclosed 'veg garden'. However as unoccupied for more thatn 5 years, and previous occupant elderly it was more of a bramble and nettle garden with a load of conifers and 3 fruit trees. We have cleared out conifers and hacked back brambles then put in our 2 GOS sows to clear the rest.  All was going well until I realised that they had started to eat the bark of one of the smaller (4ft ish) apple trees. By the time I realised what they were doing they had taken large chunks of bark off.

Tree looks/looked lovely with blossom about to come out. I have now protected the trunk from further pig damage (I hope!), but I am concerned about possible infection, and wondering whether it is possible that bark will grow back ( I suspect not). I seem to remember that there is something that can be used when cutting off large branches to protect against infection etc, but not sure if it is appropriate in this situation?  The bark as not been stripped all the way around ( so nutrients still able to travel), so I am hopeful that tree will survive with some help.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Apple Tree - Bark eaten...will it survive?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:46 am »
As it's not ring-barked it will have a chance, but you do need to protect it from infection.  The tar you can get for poultry at your agric store would do in an emergency or you could buy something specifically for wounds at the garden centre - this would have active ingredients in.  A big danger will be canker.  We had a lovely Bramley which was damaged by a tractor - the bark regrew partly but never enough to cover the whole area damaged.  This eventually succumbed to canker and spread it to other trees.  It might be better to remove the tree as it's fairly young, or you could take off all the blossom so it doesn't have the extra drain of producing fruit this year and hope it recovers for next year  :apple:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »
I had muntjacks completely ring bark one of the apple trees in my garden and I assumed it would have to be replaced and I was loathed to do it as it was a present to me from my Dad.  I just left it (the pesky varmints had actually removed the protective plastic protector and eaten that as well) to see what would happen and last year it came back with huge amounts of blossom and fruit!  So if it's a thing of beauty, don't just give up on it! 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »
Fingers crossed. My goats barked two trees in the yard, a rowan and a hawthorn. The rowan has died, the hawthorn you'd never tell the naughty things had been anywhere near it.

fleeced

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »
My sheep ate the bark off an apple tree last winter, by the time I realised it had big sheep teeth marks all over it, I presumed it would die as they had killed another tree similarly, but it has blossomed and is looking quite well, so there is hope.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:53:47 pm »
We've had bark damage to some of our apple trees from rabbits over the winter and then the goats managed to have a go as well. The bigger trees have survived but I have my doubts about one of the smaller trees.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS