Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilt standing, semen ordered  (Read 2846 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Gilt standing, semen ordered
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:03:29 pm »
Well I would have been astounded if our first attempt had worked, we made so many mistakes.  So I've ordered another pack (which I will not put in the fridge...) and we'll have another shot.

I know it's completely the wrong time of year to be getting a sow in pig, not so many people will want weaners in mid - late November - but we can manage 6 ourselves if need be (though not sure about disposing of the meat yet...) and have a cousin who rears weaners (outdoor free range when the weather is suitable, which I guess up where he is it mostly won't be for this litter, sadly.)  Same cousin sells his pork direct, so he may get a commission to sell some of our surplus if it comes to that...

Re being the wrong time of year, I'm not sure what I could have done about it, given when BH suddenly decided to say I could have pigs after all this time...  She's just about twelve months old now and I don't want to wait until she's too old to get in pig the first time.  Plus I do want her to have piggy company and her babies is where it will come from; we expect to keep one on as companion (a nice one that won't be such a bully as Gaby was) as well as a couple or more to fatten for ourselves.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Gilt standing, semen ordered
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:54:34 am »
Its possible to sell a few weaners mid November, aim your marketing at those who would use the meat on the barbie in Summer.  In my experience they need more feed to grow on.  Best of luck with your AI ing.  Hope it goes well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:05 am »
Aw, thanks HM.  Sadly this ain't barbie country - when I first moved up I hadn't room in the wagon to bring my lovely rustic picnic table-and-benches, so left it with a friend to fetch later.  First summer we had sitting out in the sun weather maybe twice...  Have now given picnic table to southern friend, and on the (really very unusual) occasion we want to be sitting outdoors we use a log or hay bales.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:11:24 am »
You're right. You don't want to let her get any older without getting into pig.
Good luck - and ask for advice if you need to!
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:13:11 am »
Hmmm.  Well, first time (three weeks ago) I thought I'd probably gone at it too soon (never thought I'd be experiencing premature ejaculation first hand!! ;)) so this time I waited till I was sure ...  So of course now I think I maybe waited too long...  Anyways, we had one very successful attempt this morning (in as far as getting the lock, getting the semen where it should be - as far as I can tell anyway) but really didn't get it to work at all this evening, and her vulva though still a bit swollen has reduced quite a bit. 

One problem I have is she doesn't ever really stand for the pressure on her back - mostly she likes pretty much any physical attention and it's hard to know whether she is 'standing' or not.  The vulva swells and almost flashes like a beacon regularly every three weeks so I am pretty sure I know when she is cycling but as to detecting the precise moment when I should give the first bottle, I am a washout.

I did track down some 'Boar Mate' spray which did have a little bit of an effect this morning but not yesterday and not this evening.

One thing that happened this evening which has not happened before is that the semen wouldn't leave the bottle - is it possible to screw too far and get blocked rather than locked?

I will maybe have another attempt tomorrow morning - maybe I was so ham-fisted ( ::)) tonight I just turned her off! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS