Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: potatoes  (Read 1476 times)

RuthG

• Joined May 2011
potatoes
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
Is it too late to plant potatoes in the north of England? I ask becuase I have just cleared a plot and want to fill it as soon as possible and was wondering if I could still include potatoes in my growing list.

Thanks.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:26:13 pm »
You should be fine with maincrop varieties. They'll be in the ground for about 18 weeks (~4 months) which takes us to about 1st October, and the biggest risks are blight and frost.

If you can, protect the haulms with fleece if there's frost forecast later in the year and the spuds are still in the ground.

Not much you can do about blight unless you want to spray them.

HTH.  :)

RuthG

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:28:09 pm »
Thanks, I'll take a risk then. The plot I want to use for potatoes is about 30 feet by 6 feet. I make that about 48 seed potatoes. Would that be about right?

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:25 pm »
You could plant earlies as well. Early varieties have a shorter maturing time so are also a good bet late in the season as well.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:09:12 am »
I agree - give it a go.

6' by 30' would be 2 rows = 40 seeds at 18" spacing.  Earlies, which as Hopewell says will mature in a shorter time than maincrop, can be planted at 15" spacings, so you can fit more in - 48 seeds.  I measure my spacings with my boots - maincrop at 1 1/2 fleecewife boots, earlies at 1 1/4 fleecewife boots  :D :D :spud: :spud: :spud:
Earlies don't usually have time to get blight, but there are now some varieties which show some blight resistance and it's worth getting them if you can, although this late you will probably not have much choice.  Some years blight isn't bad and you will still get a worthwhile crop.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS