Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rock Salt....  (Read 4431 times)

Rock Salt....
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:01 pm »
Hi,

Just about to take on a new product, but need some info from people please

I know it's the beginning of Summer, but in winter those of you who use Rock Salt for yards / paths / drives etc how much to you tend to use a year? where do you get it from? and have you had any trouble obtaining a supply??

Many Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Rock Salt....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »
mmm. think carefully on that one. with postage yours is going to be pretty expensive compared to say co-op or tesco.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:12:42 pm »
Hi Paul,

I agree, but a couple of things:

The product is a new liquid de-icer transported in 20L containers

Tesco etc If I recall sold out very quickly as the highways agency comandeered all the supplies of salt.

But yes, postage would make it seem expensive

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:21:00 pm »
Will you only sell them in 20litres? they may be to large for some people and the weight if going to be substantial.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »
Hi Paul,

I agree, but a couple of things:

The product is a new liquid de-icer transported in 20L containers

Tesco etc If I recall sold out very quickly as the highways agency comandeered all the supplies of salt.

But yes, postage would make it seem expensive

Thanks
it then will not have any grit property. melting the ice would have been silly the last two winters. the salt and sand/gravel worked very well. i would dred to think how many litres we would need for our track. your right they do sell out quickly but for some reason they managed quite well this year. if there is a demand go for it. just being nosey what damage does it do to the enviroment. as our track drains into the field it could be quite bad. that why we are very tight on salt.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:32 am »
Hi Paul,

Its actually better than salt, 60% less corrosive, works to -27 (rocksalt is only good to -6) and is more environmentally friendly.

If you pm me your email I will let you see the brochure and case study.

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:30:50 am »
just being nosey what damage does it do to the enviroment. as our track drains into the field it could be quite bad. that why we are very tight on salt.

We have observed significant damage to areas of hedge bank and field where the council put piles of grit.  Makes us seethe; everyone wants to tell farmers how to care for their land, makes out that without direction from defra farmers would be the scourge of the environment, but when it comes to a bit of popular inconvenience all that goes out the window and they can kill of as much of our pasture as they like, apparently.   >:(

And we have wondered and worried about the effects of the gritty sludge draining into the watercourses, of which there are an abundance around here. 

I'm going to post this question on its own thread, don't want to hijack your market research SfS!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:03 pm »
It is good to see that suppliers take an interest in what other people use/buy/spread etc.

Rock salt is £25 per ton and goes an awful long way at 20gms per M2 ( by road treatment standards)

If you can buy white salt in bulk,  (1 ton of salt added to water will make 4300 ltrs at 23% salinity) and covers a huge distance and is cleaner than road salt, and can be applied with walk behind fertiliser/weed sprayers, and just as effective!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:47:41 am »
So if my maths is right ... that'll be about 1kg white salt to a gallon of water?

Many of us know where to get white salt in bulk ... does a bit of saltpetre matter?  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:38 am »
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, good food for thought.

However, a word of caution if using the salt solution as above - Rock Salt for instance is only good to -6 degrees, depending on the strength of your salt solution it may initially cause a thaw, but may then well  freeze agian as the temp drops - leaving the water you sprayed on as a lovely slippery layer of ice.

Also Salt is an excellent weedkiller - so be careful where you apply it.

Thanks

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:03 am »
I agree with that. its often best to leave the snow alone. often a bit of gravel will make it driveable. i would only treat if its ice. A 4x4 was a godsend last winter as our normal car could not get up the drive for a month.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS