Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crow and magpies stealing eggs  (Read 16935 times)

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Crow and magpies stealing eggs
« on: May 27, 2011, 07:47:56 am »
My ducks haven't got the hang of laying indoors yet lol so when I come home I have one or two eggs and a load of shells and it's very upsetting ,,

anybody had the same and how to stop it ???
 :cat: : :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer: :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

robert waddell

Re: Crow and magpies stealing eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:32:05 am »
shoot them or trap them      the crows and magpies    not the ducks :&>

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:44:12 am »
If you can keep them shut in until midday (or even later while they learn) they will have to lay - won't they?!  :-\  Then you can start letting them out earlier once they've got the hang of laying indoors.  I speak as one who has never had to train a duck this way (mine were all well-behaved in that way), only chickens ...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:41:56 am »
I had 4 eggs from a dozen laying hens yesterday - caught a magpie finishing off one of the eggs  >:(  I think we'll be attempting to shoot it this w/end. now they know they are there...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 12:37:35 pm »
I have the same problem  >:(

had about 6 brods of crows this year and they love eggs, i have a 22 air gun permanantly set up at our lounge window and just pop them off when i see them coming in to land, not very sporting but very effective.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:12:45 pm »
My ducks are let out of their small enclosed run attached to their shed at about 10 am, by which time they have mostly all laid.  Occasionally one of the youngsters lays out in the bigger run and it vanishes in seconds!  My hens are let out earlier but they go back in their shed to lay
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:36:33 pm »
The Rooks around here are actually going into the hen houses to steal the eggs.  Any ideas other than shooting the cheeky blighters? 

AengusOg

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:57:52 pm »
Acquire or build yourself a Larsen trap. I set one this morning at 10am and I had two crows in it by noon. 8)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:22:35 pm »
Just a quick addition re the Larsen trap. Yes, they're very easy to make, and relatively cheap to buy. However, before you use it, you will also need a license number (free) from your local police wildlife officer, and will have to abide by the conditions therein.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 06:42:48 pm »
FOr about 4 days now we've been down to minimal eggs due to the magpie. today it was Mr Plums 1 Magpie 0 - and I've had 8 eggs (twice as many as yesterday already) I know it sounds harsh but it was a clean shot and you also don't know what diseases the wild birds bring our hens too I guess.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:09 pm »
Well done Mr Plum.  Even though I had a pet magpie as a child and returned her to the wild and she used to come back and visit me...  Seriously, they plunder and pillage and decimate; I never knew all that when I saved that bedraggled little thing all those years ago...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

molly2

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:26:54 pm »
Well, this is "good" to read, we've discovered eggs are going missing today but no sign of anything going through fence, then we found some eggs in a nearby field that had been eaten, still partially whole, I think this is our mystery solved! We'd 5 eggs at 2pm and only 1 at 6pm with no mess in the nests, could then only be something that could go over the fence. Now what to do about it, crows have always come in the run for grain which is fine by me. Might leave a dog in there through the day, have no gun and couldn't shoot them anyway!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »
Ducks "should" lay most of their eggs in the morning, so if you can keep them somewhere the magpies/crows cannot get to till around 11ish or so in the morning, then collect the eggs you shouldn't lose too many.

I constructed a pen this year with a wire mesh roof so stop the crows, and one day the ducks had laid up against the fence, and they ate them through the mesh GRRRRRRR >:(

But I have managed to get quite a few from them this year.  :)  So I shall have some Rouen to sell later in the year.  Very nice large birds they are too, and not too quacky :)  Plus they loooove slugs  :)

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:20:03 am »
I have the "missing egg syndrome" here too.  Always happens about now - magpies and crows are feeding their young.  Found three shells on the floor yesterday - so annoying.  Just one shed, where I have no pop hole, and prop the door open.  Other sheds and pens, seem unaffected.  I have started putting a board over the top of the door, where the magpie must swoop down, and thats stopped it, for now.

They seem to know when the hen starts to cackle to announce she has laid an egg, that its time to swoop down.

I know it is illegal to keep a wild bird caged, but someone I know had a magpie in their field in a cage.  I asked why, and she said it was a friends, and he had loaned it to them to be bait to catch the magpie eating ther eggs.  It had food and water, and  apparantly was tame.  Supposedly, it encouraged the other magpies to enter the cage next to it ...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 08:11:33 am »
I have also got this problem...BUT.. I have an additional issue with a nearish neighbour  who apparently "loves" crows etc and actively encourages them to breed in his trees.  At last count there were 150 nests there !!!!!!

Yesterday.... having nothing better to do ha! ha!... I pounced on every egg laid in various places and collected almost 40, which is what I expect !!!!!!   Not the 8 or so that I have been getting !!!!!!!

Every now and again, the afore mentioned person has a 'run in' with his immediate next door neighbour who shoots the crows.... quite entertaining listening to all the shouting and swearing !!!!!!

Life in the countryside can be quite fun !!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS