Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland sheep  (Read 9982 times)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Shetland sheep
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »
We wait till they are shearlings although we did have one that decided to take herself to the ram ( yes the one spoke about earlier) she had a lamb fine and was a good mother as nature intended really. But it is the done thing to wait.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »
On the twins question , no they dont have triplets but sometimes pinch a lamb so they have three suckling. We have had so many twins this year, two have pinched a lamb so they have three and one ewe was letting four suckle on her today . Its mix and match at mine at the moment but I have been told by a flockman that sometimes this happens when there are lots of lambs about the place!

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 06:45:36 am »
Thanks for the advise hermit.

I was going to wait but just wondered so they'll get sheared next summer, and tupped in autum.

They'll just be grass cutters for not  :P :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »
Sorry, going on a tangent here but having a bit of a blonde moment reading all these replies - can someone enlighten me on the sheep lingo - ewes and tups I'm ok with, but am guessing when it comes to shearlings, hoggs, gimmer lambs and what else is there out there, can someone give me the lowdown please, then I won't have to ask again and will sound knowledgeable.  Thank you ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
Of course, it varies around the country too. But here in Cumbria:

It's a lamb from when it's born until the New Year (or late back-end)  when it becomes a hogg. It's a hogg until the summer, when it's sheared, when it becomes a shearling. It's a shearling until next time it's sheared, when it becomes a two-shear....

If it's female, it's a gimmer lamb, a gimmer hogg, a gimmer shearling, when it becomes a two-shear it becomes a 'yow' (ewe).

If it's male and entire, it's a tup lamb, tup hogg etc. and becomes just a tup at two-shear.

If it's castrated, it's a wether lamb, wether hogg etc.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »
And just to be confusing, here  'gimmer' equals 'gimmer shearling', and a female lamb is a 'ewe lamb', a female hogg is a 'ewe hogg'.

And then of course there are one and two etc crop ewes, whose actual age depends on when they first lambed, and two tooth sheep, four tooth sheep etc, which refers to how many adult teeth they have........
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »
 :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 05:07:26 pm »
Hmmm, thanks for that ladies!   ::) ::) ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS