Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worm counts  (Read 6562 times)

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
worm counts
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:41:31 am »
Hi all
was wondering if had to go through vets or can I get a DIY kit.  Also do they look for Liver Fluke at the same time.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: worm counts
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:02 pm »
I do believe you can get a kit, or used to be able to, but i would recomend going to the vet.They will tell you the type of worms you have. we had a count done one year when our ewes lost a lot of condition and the count threw up a type of worm that was unusual for our area and didn't respond to the wormer we had used.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
Hi,

We sell a "worm Kit" - not a DIY kit for arount £10 inc P&P

The sample is sent to the lab, and in the case of sheep and cattle will identify the presence and an epg reading of the following:

• Trichuris Ovis   
    Capillaria sp.
    Strongyloides papillosus   
    Monieza   
    Dicrocelium lanceatum
    Fasciola hepatica
    Paramphistomum cervi
    Toxocara vitulorum
    Nematodirus
    Bunostomum
    Trichostrongulus  cooperia
    Haemonchus contortus
    Oesophagostomium
    Chabertia Ovina
    Ostertagia
    Dictyocaulus viviparus
    Dictyocaulus filaria
    Protostrongylus
    Muellerius capillaris

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »
Very useful. I use Westgate Laboratories - very prompt service.

With liver fluke, Fasciola hepatica, the count will tell you if there is evidence of fluke. However, as I understand it, no evidence of fluke in the sample doesn't mean there is no fluke, just that at this stage of the lifecycle, none are apparent.

Take advice from your vet about how to interpret results.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »
My pigs have got Large White Worms, the powder is on order from the vet and should arrive on Wednesday. I have set up a foot bath outside the pig pen but it's too late, today I have found a short worm in the sheep field in the sheep pooh. Will this worm transfer to sheep or is it pig specific?
Off I go to buy some noromectin tomorow!
Also are there any dangers in worming a five month pregnant ewe?

Any ideas?
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:50:04 pm »
My pigs have got Large White Worms, the powder is on order from the vet and should arrive on Wednesday. I have set up a foot bath outside the pig pen but it's too late, today I have found a short worm in the sheep field in the sheep pooh. Will this worm transfer to sheep or is it pig specific?
Off I go to buy some noromectin tomorow!
Also are there any dangers in worming a five month pregnant ewe?

Any ideas?
The worms in the pigs and the worms in the sheep will be different and very few if any transfer between the two species. With regard to worming a five month pregnant ewe the only real issue is likely to be stress from handling. Sheep get an increase in the numbers of worm eggs they pass out in the faeces around lambing time, so it is good practice to worm them at this stage, although I would advocate worm egg counts at other times.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »
Thanks, that is reassuring. I always get worm count done for the sheep in June, and here we are already! I use the local vet but have never really felt happy about the quality of information that comes back. I guess I am always looking for more information that you get on a piece of paper.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:48:52 pm »
Hi,

The worm count will give you just that - The count of number of eggs per gramme of sample material, and will identify what type of worms they are.

It will also tell you if no eggs are visible.

What more would you want from a worm count ??

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
So with your Kit does it give instruction ? as it would be my first time, would you need a spread of sample? fresh? and the address ect where to send it?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:57:17 am »
Hi Andy,

Ours comes with:

Sample pot (with label to identify the sample)
Pre-Paid addressed Jiffy Bag to send samples off
Sheet to fill in to link sample to animal
disposable gloves to collect sample

Instructions are quite simple:

Collect some poo - the fresher the better, place in the sample pot, fill in sheet, place in jiffy bag and post. Normally within a couple of days the results come to you by email, which will give you the epg reading per sample and the type of worms.

Using a well mixed sample (from different animals) will tend to average the result, which may give a false low reading - but will give an indication of what worms (if any) are present.

Thanks

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »
thanaks for the info, im sure we dont have any worms as Ive made sure when we brought in they wormed and I saw it, also the ground is virgin grounnd and not ever had animal on before, but its nice to work for prevention, its horrid having to try and deal with a problem when its bad, so maybe i will do the count to see what it throws up and if so we can catch early before to progressed, what do you think?

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 02:09:19 pm »
Hi,

It's Completely your choice, I would never do a "Hard Sell" and say you should do a worm count.

However, my own view is that it is the only way to know 99% where you are starting from.

Worms and worming is a complex subject, especially with the resistance to wormers that is getting worse.

Thanks

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 02:39:10 pm »
Gareth can you please send me a pack? you still have my card details?

andy

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »
ill give you a call next week

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »
Hi Andy,

I'll pop one in the post on Monday.

We dont keep card details, so just give us a call when you can with payment.

Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS