Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: leghorn characteristics? layer breed suggestions please  (Read 2563 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
leghorn characteristics? layer breed suggestions please
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:40 pm »
hi, i have 15 hens of various mixed parentage (!) and a cockerel that i think looks a bit blue cochin like. i would like to set myself up with at least a trio of a particular breed to replenish/expand my flock. i currently am thinking of leghorn as i have read that they are good layers (add says 300??) and good forager & free range bird. however i also read that they like to roost in trees - have you experienced this? i couldn't risk them being outside the electric fence. my enclosure has a 3' elec net inside a 6' chicken wire but there are trees in it and around the edge

Could you recommend a good layer/light bird/good forager, I don't mind noise, prefer not broody. Maran is a poss? even says disease resistant?

thanks
Cesca

Dickson

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: leghorn characteristics? layer breed suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 04:33:29 pm »
hi cesca

we keep leghorns.  The young birds later in the summer sometimes try to roost in the trees on good summer nights.  We just watch out for it happening and then chase them out of the trees every night until they get the message!

Another light breed you might want to consider is bantam or large fowl welsummers, the colour of the eggs are so lovely.  We also keep anconas and they are so active birds and work at foraging dawn to dusk.

All 3 breeds lay reasonably well but for us as we breed them for exhibiting- it is not a primary concern. However, another couple of breeds you might want to research.

Kind regards
Hazel

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS