Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WAXY EARS  (Read 1833 times)

TESS1963

• Joined Mar 2011
WAXY EARS
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:31:49 pm »
Hi, my girls were itching like mad and I suspected mites, as there were no lice present. I had suspected the straw that I had bought in and duly treated all of them. They have stopped itching, but I am worried about two of my girls who are rearing their piglets at the moment, as they have very waxy ears and seem to have slight redding around the outside/lower part of their ears. I have checked the other girls and the inside of their ears seem relatively dry and clean - is this normal or do I need to treat with something?

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: WAXY EARS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »
Hi
When the vet last came to us I mentioned that our girls had waxy ears and I had been cleaning them. He said best to leave them and not mess up the natural flora in the ears. But your girls sound like it could be several things, an infection/ mites, or could it be just due to scratching? May be worth asking the vet if the treatment you gave for the mites would treat ear mites as well.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: WAXY EARS
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »
The "redding around the outside/lower part" of the ear could be sunburn - what breed and what has your weather been like?
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS