Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cut or leave  (Read 1855 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
cut or leave
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »
was out today and looking at the area where our girls are put out to each day, and i was wondering
if the grass was cut say once or twice a year would this improve the quality of the grass????
what do you guys think?
there is buttercups growing everywhere if this helps e.g. what type of grass there is growing and soil.

hope i have made sense! will go online and look things up ;)

langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: cut or leave
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:22:43 pm »
Buttercups grow where there is a lack of lime on the land.  Lime will kill them, but you can also get a weedkiller to do the same job (without your goats in the field preferably)

Why do you think the grass needs improving?  Is it meadow grass (full of herbs, different grasses, meadow flowers, etc - my favourite!) or is it just rough land, or ryegrass, which is grown for horses?  You can put fertiliser on it, but that will spoil meadow grass if there is any.

Mowing the grass will get rid of the old grass, and encourage new growth, but it will not change the quality of the grass really.  At this time of year, until the end of June, you should be getting good grass whatever the type. Sheep would eat the grass right down, as they will eat grass goats leave behind.....goats will only eat the bits they want.

Remember, goats are browsers not grazers, and if given the choice would eat leaves over grass.  I am out every day with a builders sack collecting enough to keep all my gang happy - they love the leaves at the moment as they are new.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:30:24 pm »
thanks roxy, was just me only thinking away to me self!
it rough grass really as there has been horses kept on it before.
im aware that they are browsers more than grazers and yes they do love to reach than look down!
again just me thinking is there anything else i could be doing for the better for me girls.
im allways trying to improve on my skills as a goat keeper.
thanks for reply bye!
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:02:01 pm »
I always cut my grass, it help keep the sward thick & better for the soil, however I graze sheep also who need short grass or go lame and I graze horses, who also need short grass of go off their feet! ideally, have a combination of well maintained pastures & growing areas for other feeds like comfrey & willow  ;)

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:02 am »
early spring the grass here is chain harrowed, this gives the gras a good fresh start to the season. every 6 - 8 weeks the grass is topped it keeps the paddocks at their best.

this is the paddocks the goats are in the cattle and sheep keep the grass down in theirs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS