Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: does your feed merchant ask you for your postcode and address  (Read 4492 times)

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
does your feed merchant ask you for your postcode and address
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:35:03 pm »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section - Please move it to the poultry section if it should be there

here in Lincolnshire a large feed merchant  that has severalstores across leicstershire nottinghamshire and licolnshire ask you for a postcode-a house number even if you dont want  a account facility.

Asked why this was  they replied  " in case theres a problem with the feed we can contact you " -

For chickens i replied?

espiecally for chickens ?

Is this i wonder a defra ploy to see by the level of feed bought who may have more chickens than they advise they have or a way to make all smallholders  even with a minority of birds be accountable  to future legislation like movement of cattle passports.
Sheep  i understand are being discussed about having passports - is this the beginning for chickens too ?

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: does your feed merchant ask you for your postcode and address
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:50:36 pm »
No defra agenda here, I work in a feed mill and its to do with tracablity of feed. IF there was a problem they need to find out where its all gone to.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:58:44 pm »
I think they should do this with all animal feeds.  I have started buying my dog food direct form the wholesaler (who I know personally anyway) as of today for that very reason.  I know that Pat, Sharon or David will get in touch if there is a problem.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »
? Did you get to Tillicoultry then?

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:28:48 pm »
Thats good to know -just thought there was a hidden agenda  on the go -... thank you

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:16:28 pm »
Most feed merchants do this. DEFRA & SEERAD request it, and its all about traceability. like the Irish pork that they had to recall before Christmas, they know which farmers/shops to contact because they know where each batch of food has gone. Ours started doing it last year- we used to be able to pop in and buy a couple of bags at the merchants, but now they always ask for the name and postcode.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:17:22 pm »
? Did you get to Tillicoultry then?
Yes, but I don't get my dog food there. Having found David (feeds n needs) I have lost the postcode so will have to tour around Tilly to find him again for pellets and straw.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »
Going west towards Alva, turn right at Curran Court, towards the hills, just at the garage. David's is on the right opposite the Coop carpark.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:08:11 pm »
Thanks, Rosemary! Won't need TomTom now!  He's very nice!

nick-in-ca

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 03:21:21 am »
here in Canada the feed suppliers are asking the same only it is the phone no and name  the supplier say it is extra work on pay
nick

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:04 am »
regulations in uk seem to be getting tighter and tighter and can  only assume they need to find the staff more workto do or it really is 1984  and geroge orwells big brother theory has been so right in somany ways

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:20:11 pm »
If its really to recall feed in the case of contamination why dont they ask for your post code in the supermarket.

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 06:23:53 pm »
cause is only the animals they worry about!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 
Sorry other half says i'd rather animals to him!!! Although not far wrong i'd rether spend time with the animals than with some people!  :pig: :pig: :cow: :chook: :goat: ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS