Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blood Spots  (Read 3390 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Blood Spots
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
So an acquaintance of mine commented on Facebook that she had cracked open an egg and it had a blood spot in it, and lots of her friends commented on how disgusting it was, how unsafe it was to eat it etc.

My understanding is that it was just a rupture when the egg was forming - I know its not fertilised although a lot of people insist it is, because my chooks have laid the odd one and I dont have a boy. And a few double yolks too.

Anyway I told it was safe and got 'shouted down' by someone insisting it would make her ill! Have you ever come across this?  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Blood Spots
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »
Yes, I have come across ignorant folk like that too  ;)  This might help explain it to your 'friend' ::)
http://www.poultryhelp.com/bloodspots.html
Can you eat eggs with blood spots?

Eggs with a visible blood spot on the yolk are safe for consumption. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife.  Blood or "meat" spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny spots are not harmful and are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel during formation of the egg. Blood spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Mass candling methods reveal most blood spots and those eggs are removed, but even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. If desired, the spot can be removed with the tip of a clean knife prior to cooking. These eggs are safe to eat.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/FAQ.htm
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:24 pm »
We've just removed the blood spot before eating, but only because it's a bit unsightly. I'm sure we must have eaten some that have been baked with.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:06:35 am »
Well I'm one of the people who thought it meant the egg was fertilised.  We have a cockerel running with the hens, so we just eat the eggs pretty much whatever they look like.  They all taste great, bloodspots and all.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:15:44 am »
That's the problem - folks are now aghast if they find a blood spot in an egg, a caterpillar in their cabbage, etc etc. Just means everything has to be blitzed with pesticides etc. I have a friend who won't touch our free range eggs because they don't have little lions on them, but will quite happily buy battery eggs from the supermarket  ???. I told her it was because we hadn't had our hens had run out of ink, and I honestly think she half believed me!  ;)

I spent my early years in Zambia, where my parents had to sieve all the wholemeal flour to get rid of weevils. The white flour didn't have this problem, and my Dad assumed this was because it was more refined. A friend soon put him right though - "Oh, they can't live in the white flour - there's not enough nutrition in it for them!!"  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:22 pm »
A farming friend's daughter was told not to lick her mixing bowl in school cookery class "because your home-produced eggs are not certified salmonella-free".   ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:53:57 pm »
A farming friend's daughter was told not to lick her mixing bowl in school cookery class "because your home-produced eggs are not certified salmonella-free".   ::)

I am sure I read recently that a mother was not allowed to send in a birthday cake to school for her son's birthday as she had used her own eggs.   ??? ::)

I spent my early years in Zambia, where my parents had to sieve all the wholemeal flour to get rid of weevils. The white flour didn't have this problem, and my Dad assumed this was because it was more refined. A friend soon put him right though - "Oh, they can't live in the white flour - there's not enough nutrition in it for them!!"    

Priceless  ;D ;D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »
mine are allowed to lick any of my mixing bowls but not in any other houses  ;D
I found some grey matter on the outside of the duck yolk once or twice - any idea what that could have been? I applied the same - scraped it off with a sharp spoon. None of the eggs had been sat on  so not embyonic tissue :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »
I found some grey matter on the outside of the duck yolk once or twice - any idea what that could have been?

probably best not to dwell on it!!
 does the saying about "eat a peck of dirt before you die" have a caveat about chicken sh*t?!!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:14 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS