Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg Shells  (Read 2786 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Egg Shells
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:12 pm »
Well I am still fascinated by my chooks after a year of watching them.

anyway, my chickens are kept together in the same run, with the same food etc. However they are all different breeds, so I find it amazing that they all lay different egg shells. You would expect them to be the same, since the conditions are the same. But 2 lay really smooth, shiny eggs that are hard to write on (i write the date on with a pencil). One lays speckled, rough eggs. The others seems more like supermarket eggs.

However, one of them lays very thin shells. They have plenty of grit and lots of dirt to scratch about in. Why would the egg shell be so thin - sometimes to the point that as I pick it up it cracks?

Are the eggs safe to eat?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Egg Shells
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:52 pm »
The eggs should be quite safe as long as they haven't been lying in poo.  

Often hens will lay thinner shelled eggs just as they are coming into or going out of lay.  Also some older hens who have laid many eggs in their career will lay mainly thinner shelled eggs, which is often the reason commercial flocks are disposed of after 18mths or so.

Each breed will have its own type of egg, I suppose just as blackbirds and thrushes eggs are different.  Mine are very thick shelled and dark coloured with a lovely sheen, but I am developing a line with speckled eggs.  I love the differences in them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:38:11 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »
I have one duck who does the same, every second day I find hers broken in the house. She eats the same as the others, nothing I can do... :&>

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:12:43 am »
One of mine, I think one of my black rocks, lays an almost white egg the pointed end is lumpy and rough and the shell is quite thin. What causes that rough lumpy bit? It's only been over the last few months, I got her about 18 months ago POL

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:59 am »
I'm glad Egbert asked this question as I'd logged on to ask more or less the same thing. The added problem I have is that my chooks (I have four Orpngtons) always eat the egg with the papery shell - not that I'd fancy eating it myself but it's teaching them bad habits.
It's really frustrating as at the moment one of the girls is broody and she's putting the others off laying, so no eggs!
No matter how I try I can't find out which one - or even if all of them - are eating the egg. :chook:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:36:10 am »
One of mine, I think one of my black rocks, lays an almost white egg the pointed end is lumpy and rough and the shell is quite thin. What causes that rough lumpy bit? It's only been over the last few months, I got her about 18 months ago POL
We get that too sometimes, so I am hoping someone has the answer  :chook:  Ours are totally free range and have as much grit and oyster shell as they want, plus layers pellets and obviously veg matter and worms, etc which they catch themselves. The eggs with the rough bit at one end are perfect inside but I don't like to sell them as they don't look right.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS