Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big day tomorrow :)  (Read 3560 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Big day tomorrow :)
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:30:33 pm »
We've booked in our slot in the slaughter house for tomorrow morning  :) taking a minimum of 6 with me tomorrow.  3 of them being young boars and we're taking 1 older female and 2 or possibly 3 gilts.  Getting really excited now  ;D got the freezer scrubbed out ready for the pork and a friends has lent me a sausage maker so going to have a play over the next few weeks ......... can't wait

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Big day tomorrow :)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »
mmmmm...

piggy flavoured snacks  ;D

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:10:31 pm »
taking a minimum of 6 with me tomorrow.  got the freezer scrubbed out ready for the pork

FreezerS I hope - with 6 going you're going to have a heck of a lot of meat!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes  :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:35:03 pm »
taking a minimum of 6 with me tomorrow.  got the freezer scrubbed out ready for the pork

FreezerS I hope - with 6 going you're going to have a heck of a lot of meat!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes  :)
I second Oaklands - we had 4 last year and only managed to squeeze the meat into a chest freezer after giving away about a pigs worth and also having half a pig kept for a bit for curing.
Enjoy  ;D

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:13:03 pm »
They're only Kune crosses so failry small :)

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:03 am »
 ;)dont be fooled even kk's need pleanty of freezer space we had 2 killed a couple of weeks back just over 100lb of burgers and just over 150lb of sausages they alone take up loads of space.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:43:39 am »
Hope its all gone well.  If you are low on freezer space, the more boned out the meat the less space it takes.  Consider having shoulders as chops or "cubed" for casserole.  Its amazing how much pork can be got into a freezer if you are good at jigsaw puzzles (which I am not).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:55 am »
You can fairly easily can meat, similar to bottling vegetables. I have done it with cubed pork (it's what people in Germany used to do before freezers!), great quick dinner made with it as well, as meat is already cooked and only needs adding some chutney, creme fraiche, mustard and about 20 minutes in the pan.

When I get a minute I write up the procedure, it definitely saves on feezer space!

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:21:31 am »
good luck with the sausage making, remember you can have lots of different flavours of sausages, leek, sage, mustard, apricot, spring onion the list is endless.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »
Well it nearly didn't happen this morning with one thing and another  :-\ got there in the end with all 6 and oh what a joy that was getting them from the field LOL Feeling happy now they've gone though.  The guy is going to phone me once they've been cleaned and hung up to see whats what with the meat.  I've got 2 med chect freezers and 1 upright at my mothers and i've got a 6ft upright here so i think that that'll be enough space and if not then i'll give a load away hehe

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 08:15:06 am »
Rather than give it away, make air dried hams with some of the legs, they wont need freezer space and last for ages.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS