Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: accredited sheep  (Read 12779 times)

princesspiggy

accredited sheep
« on: May 22, 2011, 01:05:51 am »
i was looking at a sheep show schedule ...what does "accredited" and "non-accredited" sheep mean?
thanks  :wave: ??? :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: accredited sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:17:22 am »
Was it 'MV accredited'?  If so, it refers to a virus called Maedi Visna, which causes disease in susceptible sheep.  I have never quite got my head around it all but basically I think there are some breeds which are naturally not susceptible and others which can be susceptible.  You can get your flock accredited as MV-free, and then at sheep shows and sales the rings and pens keep the MV-free sheep and the non-accredited MV-free sheep completely seperate.

No doubt someone who has a better handle on it all will be along shortly to do a better job than me - please!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:28:57 am »
There is also EAE This is a deseise that can apparently effect up to 30% of a flock? Im sure there are several other health issues as well.

Quote (Highland and Islands Sheep Association)
"In an endeavour to maintain the high health status of the breeding and hill sheep flocks within the Highlands and Islands of Scotland by keeping Enzootic Abortion of Ewes (EAE) out of the area.
The resultant hardy, healthy, EAE Accredited breeding sheep of our flockmasters are available to producers throughout the country."

Basicly Accredited animals are those that have been verified free from certain deseise by one or more bodies who certificate that animal. Non-Accredited dont have this certificate.

Its quite often used in animals that are of show quality etc. in these cases the bodies that control the certification dont allow non-Acred and Acred animals to be mixed including when they are transported to shows etc.

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:33:12 am »
ok, thanks.
slighty different topic now. if we were to show a nice little boreray ewe lamb in a "any other pure breed" class, would we be laughed out of the ring as she wouldnt be comparable in size to a big meat lamb?  :-[ :-\ :-[ :-\

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:23:36 pm »
I would certainly hope not. The judge will be used to seeing a variety in this class and you wont be the only one with a small breed sheep there I am sure. Good luck and go for it. The first time we showed we were not sure of ourselves and came away with best  Shetland ewe in show, best  Shetland pair of lambs and best in show so go for it.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 03:42:18 pm »
thats good then, we were going to show our hand-raised hebridean lamb a few years back but chickened out cos when we went to watch a sheep class, the lambs were twice the size of him. and not a hebridean in sight.
do lambs get shown in a halter or do they stay in a pen. also do they get bathed etc before hand, if so, with what? shes white.
im feeling brave this year, but competing against real sheep farmers is a bit daunting!
and if its in a non-accreditated class,then no testing is required??
thanx
 :wave:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 08:40:41 pm »
In Shetland they are dragged out of the field and put in a show pen. No washing even for the cattle. Shetlands up here are rooed about a month ( I think) before the shows ( which are late summer up here) so the fleece is equal in length thats all. Never showed in a Mainland show, sorry.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 03:23:00 am »
thats good then, we were going to show our hand-raised hebridean lamb a few years back but chickened out cos when we went to watch a sheep class, the lambs were twice the size of him. and not a hebridean in sight.
Your lamb will be judged on its representation of that breed and not others.
do lambs get shown in a halter or do they stay in a pen.
In general lambs are lead by a rope type halter lead and they are generaly white in colour.
also do they get bathed etc before hand, if so, with what? shes white.
This will depend on the level your showing at size of venue and importance etc. Some shows are casual dress but animals in general are always presented well. County shows etc then presentation of your lamb and yourself is taken into concideration at judgeing. Its advisable to have a white coat for your self as well as ensureing your animal is well presented.
I only ever had experiance of cattle many years ago but my freind shows sheep and lambs ill get more info and post it; rather than post incorect info.
im feeling brave this year, but competing against real sheep farmers is a bit daunting!
You need to enjoy it. Do teh preperation to the best of your ability and go for it. Like many things takeing part is teh best way to learn and pick up more tips. Sod everyone else your there to enjoy the day and show off your animals that you have worked hard to breed and look after, so head up and be proud.
and if its in a non-accreditated class,then no testing is required??
Accreditation isnt compulsory. Mixing non and accredited is only aplicable to yoru animals that you are showing; i.e. if you had one accredated and one non. you would have to trasport them seperat;y and pen them seperatly; at least thats how I see it.
thanx
 :wave:

Ive tried adding replys in blue within your quote hope it worked?

One thing is niggeling me  ??? Hope someone can say yah or nay, I dont want to misslead you. But in the back of my head I have this. Sheep that are grown for their wool are shown in their full fleece. Sheep that are grown for meat are shown sheared?  :-[ :-[ :-\ Im damn curiouse myself now  :dunce: ;)

Ill try and find info on prepareing sheep and lambs for you but hopefully someone who shows sheep will come along and give you more info. Im limited but the bit i know helps.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:40:01 am by Cobra »

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:59 pm »
I can only reply for downland sheep but our hampshire lambs are traditionally shown in fleece and trimmed out to look their best though we do have untrimmed classes, older sheep are always shorn bare. In the purbreed classes our society rules denote we must be MV accredited or we have to enter any other purebreed in the non-MV section

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 05:55:12 pm »
Thank you princesspiggy for asking the questions - are you going to go to Turriff? - I was thinking of showing one of my Jacob lambs there but like you not too sure about the classes etc - took a couple of pygmy goats last year and it was great fun apart from the weather - hop eto see you
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »
CAE is the goat equalivant, i have an "accredited" herd, as they are tested annually & have the all clear on paperwork to prove so.

My sheep are "non-accredited" so I have to abide by certain rules ie not sharing housing or paddocks, however for peace of mind  i have all my sheep tested for EAE (which my vet tells me is the same as CAE) which thankfully all came back clear, so although non accredited I know they are healthy & I dont have to worry that they will contaminate my goats.
   Sorry slightly confused CAPRINE ARTHRITIS ENCEPHALITIS in goats and ENZOOTIC ABORTION IN EWES the same ??????? ???

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »
yes, our local show is turrif so competition is quite fierce i wud image.
i was hoping to show the goats but they only have a "dairy goat" section which includes a "any other breed"class. can i just enter a couple of bagot, knowing they are not a dairy breed? we would like to show them as the children have their white coats and the kids walk on a lead, so will be fun for everyone.

Brucklay,if your showing your sheep, then that'd be great, safety in numbers ...lol, mine lamb would still be smaller than a jacob tho.
thanks everyone  :wave:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:49 pm »
Would so love to see your wee Boreray lambs - I'm going to enter one just for the fun of it and maybe get some tips/advice - one ram lamb looks quite handsome so maybe him - but like you we have got tested yet so will be in the 'non' section.
Re the goats - I don't know, I took 2 pygmys last year and it's a shame there are not more goat classes, although reading between the lines maybe class 315 goatling coloured or 316 kid any breed coloured should be ok - but I know nothing when it comes to showing - I phoned up last year and they were very helpful - so just give them a call - looking forward to seeing you there
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »
CAE is the goat equalivant, i have an "accredited" herd, as they are tested annually & have the all clear on paperwork to prove so.

My sheep are "non-accredited" so I have to abide by certain rules ie not sharing housing or paddocks, however for peace of mind  i have all my sheep tested for EAE (which my vet tells me is the same as CAE) which thankfully all came back clear, so although non accredited I know they are healthy & I dont have to worry that they will contaminate my goats.
   Sorry slightly confused CAPRINE ARTHRITIS ENCEPHALITIS in goats and ENZOOTIC ABORTION IN EWES the same ??????? ???

no, I worte it incorrectly, I meant the process is the same, ie goats need to be tested for CAE & sheep EAE - not the actual disease,

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »
you go for it princess    somebody else was asking the same questions and did not get the response that they should have
some shows have white coats some don't
mv accredited is not as straight forward as portraid on here if you have sheep already the test takes ages if you don't have sheep and not had sheep for at least 10 months and buy mv accredited sheep in .the test and every thing involved is straight forward       your vet takes blood samples they are sent to the sac they test and issue the paper work    it costs about £60 per sheep (only usefull if you are selling or intending to sell pedigree stock to other pedigree breeders with mv flocks
some sheep are washed about a week before the show and wear jackets to keep them clean
some shows have them on halters some don't
it is the representation of the breed and some breeds will never make the high accolade of being champion   same as cattle/pigs/horses/goats and poultry
just enjoy the day and observe :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS