Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are you trying anything new in your garden this year?  (Read 23980 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Are you trying anything new in your garden this year?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 09:23:51 am »
lol wind is not a problem here (i live in a house with 3 blokes and two girls) so am used to that lol.

AM thinking of having a bashagain in the front garden just to tidy it up as it is look a bit of a mess at the moment

resistance is fertile

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 04:15:38 pm »
new for us this year are Asparagus peas, good climbers with a crazy pod! and crimson amaranth leaves to give the salad beds even more colour!

Working on a big scale solar drier for the Principe Borghese tomatoes so we hope to finally crack the english sun dried tomato market! will let you know how it pans out (maybe just bulk loads of passata :D)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 04:18:31 pm »
Now that sound promisiong and both interesting

robert693

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 03:17:59 pm »
I am trying leeks and several herbs such as terragon. Kale is really easy to grow and will over-winter well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 09:16:24 pm »
Never tried Tarragon - I think it's supposed to be hard to grow. Dan does a lovely chicken, lemon and tarragon soup - mmm, it's my favourite.

pouletpaul

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 09:58:36 pm »

I'm growing horse radish for the first time. Bought a couple of roots in January. Anybody any advice on growing techniques!!!

:chook:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 08:08:52 am »
No - we were given some but Dan forgot where he planted it and iit's never shown up again!

tankgirl

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 06:59:09 pm »
ive not grown horse raddish, but am aware that its like mint and will spread if not contained and kept in a pot in the ground....hope that helps!

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 10:02:31 pm »
I recently uprooted a conifer from the end of our drive as it obscured the view when reversing and caused my mum to have a small prang (nothing to do with an arthritic short-arse in a volvo reversing uphill then...). This left a patch of bare soil on what was otherwise a lovely front lawn. In a moment of madness I decided to dig it over and plant garlic, carrots, parsnips and beetroot. I must say it's caused a lot of shaken heads, confused looks and tutting. Being nextdoor to the church in a small farming community a lot of people walk past and its right in their line of sight...

I think I'll grass it over after I've harvested and leave the growing for the back garden.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 07:32:54 am »
Please don't! We dug up the front lawn in our old house to plat veggies - hte back garden was north facing and quite dull because of a huge Leylandii hedge. The vegies got some strange looks at first but folk were quite inetersted in it - I suspect more so now, as veg. growing has become more popular. Anyway, veggies look nice - we've got potatoes in pots on the patio and they're lovely, with dark purple flowers.

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 09:03:07 am »
veggies look nice - we've got potatoes in pots on the patio and they're lovely, with dark purple flowers.

I didn't know that you could pot grow potatoes, what a brilliant idea. Any tips Rosemary???

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 06:39:15 pm »
Oh the bigger the pot the better.
Put a little bit of soil in the pot then place tatties on top then earth up  like you would in the ground
linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 07:32:46 pm »
Yup, wouldn't disagree with anything Linz says.

I've got my Mayan Gold in pots - too expensive to risk in the dirty old ground!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »
* Fluffywelshsheep is all for putting stuff in the 'wrong' place. I had tatties in the front lawn and i think i upset a load of neighbour but tough DIG FOR VICTORY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 11:49:12 pm »
I'm going  to try growing mushrooms this year. I'm setting up an old bed frame filled with chipped bark for lions mane and putting shiitake and oyster mushrooms in the chipped bark I use for footpaths in the woods.

Hope it works....

Actually,  is a mushroom a vegetable???
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS