Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it OK to keep a lone pig?  (Read 6332 times)

Pepper

• Joined May 2011
Is it OK to keep a lone pig?
« on: May 21, 2011, 04:52:45 pm »
A month ago we got two Gloucester Old Spot females. One of them has developed pneumonia which doesn't seem to be responding to antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. (We have since found out that these piglets had pneumonia when younger.) The vet has said she may have to be destroyed. We've read and been told that pigs can't be kept alone and so the other may also have to be destroyed which seems a shame as she seems healthy. We would really appreciate any advice as to whether it's OK to keep a lone pig for a few months. :-[ :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Is it OK to keep a lone pig?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
If the second piglet is clear of any infection could she not have a new companion?  It seems a shame to kill her if she could have a productive life, but it would in mho be unkind to keep her on her own.  Having said  that, I do have a pet pig, who despite having many opportunities of companionship rejects them all prefering his sofa, and human company.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:36:59 pm »
Keeping a single pig is not something I would recommend for welfare reasons. They are incredibly intelligent, social, herd animals and do far better with other piggy company.
But don't jump into making a decision until you know for sure whether she'll need to be destroyed, pigs have a way of surprising us all at times  ;) And I for one, think it's better to have a single pig having a happy, outdoor life rather than having her destroyed in case she gets lonely - cross that bridge when you come to it.
Just my opinion though  :-\
Karen x
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:37:07 pm by HappyHippy »

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »

I'm relatively new to pig-keeping but one of the first things I learnt was how they need company, which is why we ended up with our three little pigs.

Seeing them together, as a gang, I can scarcely (sp?) imagine how a single pig would cope, even with the company of other animals such as our chickens.

I read somewhere that they're number 4 in the intelligence charts - only behind us, chimps, and dolphins - which puts it in perspective.

Get another pig. :)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »
Pepper  :wave:
I do really hope your GOS recovers.  But, if she doesn't PLEASE don't keep the other as an "only pig" she WILL pine for the loss of her friend, pigs are herd animals & it's just not natural for them to be on their own.
You do not have to replace your lost pig with one of the same breed or age necessarily, you could try one of the pig Rescue societies for a companion for your remaining pig (obviously depending on what you intend to do with your pigs) or alternatively you could rehome her (informing any potential new owners of the ill-health history).
Here's hoping to a full & speedy recovery.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:55:12 am »
Please let us know how things turn out 

Pepper

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:37:59 am »
Many thanks for all these replies - really helpful. I guess we hadn't thought of getting a new companion as we've been told that they don't take well to new-comers. Maybe this isn't always the case though. Has anyone had success introducing a new pig? These are pig for meat - so we want them to have a happy life before they go to market.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:17:28 pm »
I've not had problems introducing new pigs. I let them see each other through the fence for a couple of days to a week, then put them all in together. You get a wee bit of fighting til the pecking order is established, but nothing major. A handy tip is to spray them both with something strong smelling so they both smell the same - it can help too  ;)
HTH
Karen x

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »
Pigs of different ages generally mix very well, and if you added a new weaner it would be around 8 weeks and your existing one is around 12 weeks, so there will be a good difference in size. Whilst there may be some initial pushing, they should quickly establish order.

They may take a day or two to integrate fully, so allow two sleeping areas for the first night or two - you should be able to improvise a second shelter - few bales of straw with a tarpaulin roof so that new one does not sleep outside.

We regularly mix pigs of all different ages in our fattening gorup, and harmony is soon restored.

Yesterday we put a 12 week in with two 8 week olds, and this evening they are all sleeping together.

And yes you should absolutely get another, pigs alone are miserable.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:27:58 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 06:25:03 pm »
Yeah totally agree, I think you should get another pig if the ill one doesn't make it  :-\
As others have said I am sure if you take it slowly introducing them all will be well  :)
Having watched our playing around together I think a single pig would be lonely
I hope all works out for the best  :)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:50 am »
Yes, 3 months on her own would be too long. Hope the other one pulls through, good luck.

Apparently in Germany it's against the law to keep a single pig.  :pig:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:04 am »
i do hope your other pig recovers, keep us posted.

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 07:59:34 pm »
Hi guys im new here but my tamworth sow has been by herself for nearly 2 years even with the opportunity to be with other pigs refuses to 'make friends'

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 08:13:20 pm »
that will be another pig that has not read the books :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS