Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ryeland tups  (Read 4756 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Ryeland tups
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:47:08 am »
I have 5 Ryeland sheep who I would like to breed from this year. Problem is two are coloured and registered and the other 3 are white and non registered  ::) Should I mate them with a coloured or white Ryeland tup? I have looked on the breed society website for guidance and just ended up getting more confused  ??? My thought were to breed with a coloured registered tup so at least the lambs from the coloured ewes could be registered as pure coloureds. Would appreciate any help with this, comments suggestions all welcome  ;D

Also does anyone have any Ryeland tups suitable for the job. We are based in Shropshire  :wave:

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Ryeland tups
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »
I have about 60 ryeland sheep and am a member of the RFBS.
You will need a registered coloured Ryeland tup to be able to register any offspring of your coloured ewes and for that you need to be a member of the society.
Your white ewes offspring will never be able to be registered with the society as both parents have to be registered sheep, so it is up to you if you just what to use a coloured tup on them and have them as coloured sheep.
If you want registered white sheep you will need both registered ewes and tup.

I have both white and coloured tups here ranging from this years to a few years old if this is any help.
Am based near Aberystwyth.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:46:26 pm »
A couple of this years boys
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 05:49:21 pm »
I know what you mean about getting confused about the registration. I now breed my Ryelands just for the love of the breed. Most of my older ewes and my oldest tup are registered but none of the offspring have ever been registered but are fantastic looking ryelands never the less

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 05:52:07 pm »
There has been quite a change with the registrations this year, but won't go down that road. i have some great tups here that I have just not registered, because at £15 a time for a ram I only register what I class as the best.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:02:16 pm »
When I bought my first three ewes two weren't registered...and neither were their sires.  I had to register both sires as well as both ewes and it took nearly a year.   It can be done if you are willing to do the paperwork and be patient!
I have two white rams who sired some lovely lambs this year, but we are in Devon - a bit far from you I think!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »
In your position, I'd certainly go for a registered tup - then you keep your options open. You can use a white or coloured tup - but lambs from your coloured ewes will be classed as coloured even if they are white, because they have a coloured parent. You'll need to register with RFBS and get a flock name.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »
When I bought my first three ewes two weren't registered...and neither were their sires.  I had to register both sires as well as both ewes and it took nearly a year.   It can be done if you are willing to do the paperwork and be patient!
I have two white rams who sired some lovely lambs this year, but we are in Devon - a bit far from you I think!
I don't think it is that simple if you cannot prove their bloodlines. You would have to contact the RFBS to see what can be now done if you have any proof of their lineage, and this would have to go before council I believe.
Check with the secretary.
I have been breeding Ryelands now for 10years plus, but always check with the secretary if I want to clarify anything.
Using a white tup on registered coloured ewe is not really correct but can be clarified within the rule book of the society.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:21:35 pm by kaz »

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:23:36 pm »
Thankfully the previous breeder had kept both of the sires and remembered their breeder - I had to go right back.
I would definitely advise going with the registered tups, Dot (the secretary) is very, very helpful if you need any help, though!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »
If you want to breed pedigree registered stock, you will need registered tups and ewes. If you contact Dot the secretary she will be able to send you details of anything you need to know.
It is well worth joining the society.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:36 pm »
Using a white tup on registered coloured ewe is not really correct but can be clarified within the rule book of the society.

Perhaps not but he was all I could get and he's thrown fabulous lambs. I'll be using him again this year for sure. TBH, I find the whole white / coloured thing a tad tedious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS