Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CAEV?  (Read 3968 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
CAEV?
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:22:07 am »
Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some advice.  Many years ago I took on two pygmy goat cross wethers (not sure what the cross is - but they are big), they were rescues and a lot of their past unknown, but believed to be brothers.  Last year Ernie took ill with rapid weight loss and very poorly - vet prescribed ABs and we nursed him back, but the vets verdict was really "well he is very old - shall I put him to sleep?" (I said NO!!!) A couple of months later the same weight loss happened along with intermittent choking fits and eventually we lost him.  During all this time I noticed he had swollen knees (although the vet didn't - but to be fair he wasn't an expert in goats!). Looking through the symptoms of CAEV  - it seems that this could have been what he had.
Now a year on Bert his brother isn't looking too good. One knee is very swollen and painfull (and creaks when you bend it) he is losing flesh and generally not himself - he is usually a big character.  I've read that CAEV is usually contracted as kids form their Mothers but it doesn't manifest itself until old age, so as they could have been brothers it seems likely.  Obviously I will contact my vet (a more agricultural one this time) but has anyone here had any experience of this and any advice?  As vets rarely come across goats around here - I would respect and welcome any experienced goat keepers help.
thanks, Helen
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: CAEV?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:37:27 pm »
Subject to confirmation via blood tests... you have described classic CAE.

Every goat in the UK should be blood tested annually for this dreadful disease... it strikes all caprines, not just dairy goats.   There is no cure, regrettably.

Yes it is transmitted via the dam's milk, which is why it is so desperately important never to breed from a goat until it is declared CAE neg.

I am so sorry that you have to suffer the loss caused by somebody elses negligence.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »
Thanks wytsend - thought as much.  Do you know of any steps to make his life easier, what's left of it? ( other than the obvious :'( ) I will feed him some willow each day - as I believe it has natural aspirin and seems to help when they are under the weather.

Also he (and previously the brother) runs with my 3 angora does.  Obviously now I will test these out before breeding ( I haven't bred them before).  Have you ever heard of it transmitting between adults?

Thank you for taking the time to reply
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »
The usual transmission is via placenta/milk.    So your other does should be OK.  BUT it is essential to have them tested as no responsible stud goat owner will have untested does to their buck... it is sexually transmitted - the only other route to pass it on.

My thoughts would be to do the 'deed' before he deteriorates further... at least he is happy at present.  It is a tough call but that is part of the responsibility of stock ownership.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:38:19 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about Bert. I would definitely have him checked/blood tested to see if it is CAE. If it is positive then a single test on the Angoras would give some reassurance that they were fine but a second test 6 months later would be best to be absolutely certain before breeding them. (The accredited health scheme requires 2 tests before a herd can be accredited as free of CAE.) Something else to be aware of is that goats less than 6 months old may test negative and actually have CAE virus, and sometimes this can be true of goats up to a year old as well. Although I guess your Angoras are probably older than this.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:55:53 am »
Thanks - I will get the vet in and double check that its CAE with Bert and I won't let him suffer if you know what I mean.  I'm glad you mentioned the 2 tests at 6 month intervals before breeding - I will do this with the Angoras, even if it means not breeding this year. (I am not in any panic to breed  - if I do at all).

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:03:14 am »
gate crashing slightly here...if a goat needs to be cae tested before being shown in the ring, when and how etc is it done?
 :wave:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 06:38:58 am »
ALL goats & I mean all goats,  should have an annual blood test done by the Vet.  Most people do it around endMarch/beginning of April  so it is convenient for showing.

This is a terrible disease which, if a goat is carrying it, does not show up until the animal is around 4-6 years old in average cases... occasionally it can be earlier.    By then, as the disease is maternally passed as well as sexually transmitted,  plus there are other methods like saliva tranmission,  it is not difficult to see how dramatically this disease can spread if left unchecked.

For the relatively small amount of cost to get the blood test done.... the annual test forms can be downloaded from British Goat Society website.... the peace of mind knowing your goats cannot be responsible for the death of somebody else's beloved animals, is enormous.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:36 pm »
Cost me(or rather the person who insisted I got it done)£20 to have my billy done!Of coarse he didn't have it

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »
i presume a vet does it? thats £35 before they get out of car.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:24:22 pm »
Most Vets will charge by the hour for routine blood testing...particularly if you ask.

I had 28 bloods taken this year which with Lab fees has cost me just under £200 for the lot.  This was done on the hourly basis.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:16:31 pm »
i presume a vet does it? thats £35 before they get out of car.
You could always take the goats to the vets - probably more economical if you only have one or two.

However you look at this, it must be reasonable to pay something for the peace of mind that your goats are not going to suffer this horrid disease, and that you are not going to unwittingly inflict it on someone elses goats.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:35:06 pm »
Never known anybody who had it but then my goats don't show,don't suckle other goats kids and when I used to do milking competitions I never gave them milk out of the communal bucket.Why don't people test for johannes?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS