Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hope (our little rescue) 8 weeks in  (Read 4543 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Hope (our little rescue) 8 weeks in
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »

Just thought I'd do a little update post as she is getting on so well!

Hope has been with us for 8 weeks now ... it's hard to believe she's the same pony with her summer coat pretty much all through now! I am able to put a head collar on and off her and groom her all over. She will now eat hard feed and has just had her second dose of wormer (the first lot eradicated piles and piles of HUGE bot larvae ... bleugh!) She will let me approach her in the field and knows her routine perfectly now (she still come in every night for a groom and a feed).

I can touch down her legs but have not lifted feet as yet ... this will hopefully come later in the week as we will be practicing leading for the first tie this evening!

A few photos for you all  :)

The day she arrived

End of week two:

Enjoying the grass!

Week 4

Week 6

Week 7

And this week

My favourite!

I will update again soon! :)

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Re: Hope (our little rescue) 8 weeks in
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »
Awww she is beautiful, well done you

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:43:56 pm »
Aw well done you, she's such a pretty little thing.  We rescued a weanling 3 years ago, and named her Faith :)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »
We done she is beautiful a great credit to your hard work and determination

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »
She has a lovely face and looks as if the trust is showing, well done and keep up the good work  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:17 pm »
She's so beautiful, and looks great!  :)
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:11:23 am »
She's lovely. Well done  :bouquet:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:50:22 am »
She looks beautiful. :)  That last picture brought a tear to my eye it was so beautiful, and she looks so soulful.

AengusOg

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:53:42 am »
What a difference. Well done.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:26:10 am »
Thank you all, I'm so pleased with her! ;D

We had leading training last night and Hope performed her favourite trick which is to throw herself on the ground when she is worried about something (she does this is the cat or any of the chickens enter her stable too!).

We ended on a good note with her standing for me whilst she had a groom and a feed with her headcollar and leadrope on. She'll have the evening off tonight and we'll attempt again on Saturday afternoon ... she's a brilliant little pony and even after episodes like this (there have been many!) she will always come back to me for reassurance :)

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:57 pm »
Wow, thanks for taking the pics and sharing, she looks amazing! Well done. Keep the pics coming, it is lovely to see  ;D
Lynn :)

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 10:19:19 pm »
We bought a horse that looked sound but little did we know about riding problems.

He is a highland pony and was left for 18 months not ridden often only occasionally to round up the sheep off the fells. He was fed nearly 3/4 of a small hay bale a day in winter nearly a bag of horse food every couple days and bags and bags of carrots. He couldnt roll over at all, so a strict diet was on order.

That sorted we turned our attention to riding which was horrendous as he wouldnt walk 100yards without napping and going home, after nearly 7 years of determination and trust(he would follow me ti the end of the earth) we are nearly there only a few hickups here and there.

Trust is then best healer a animal that trusts gets better twice as fast!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:03 pm »
she is adorable what beautiful eyes, you must be so proud of her and yourselves,

what a difference tlc and time make, you are an inspiration,

Cant wait to read about her progress during the summer

:wave: :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:38 pm »
 ;D ;D Thanks Faith! I was hoping you'd get to see these!

She is now settled with my two big horses perfectly and only in the last couple of days will let me apporach her in the field,I'm really pleased with her progress, I just need toget those toe nails trimmed! :)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 10:51:10 am »
sure you will get there with the toe nails, TLC and patience, it sounds like your winning with the trust, so your half way there.

Enjoy the lessons she is teaching you and save all the memories, you are embarking on an incredible journey with Hope. It will change both of your lifes, i loved every minute of bringing my little dartmoor up, he taught me so much about ponies, and life.  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS