Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runny noses  (Read 4325 times)

pigwig

• Joined May 2011
Runny noses
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »
Hi
My 3 pigs are happy and bouncy and eating but they have developed a mucusy /runny nose.
The breeder says wait and see and the weather could be the reason but I feel panicky as a new
pig keeper. Any tips for me  before I ring the vet???

robert waddell

Re: Runny noses
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:59:13 pm »
pigs can get the cold  :farmer:

pigwig

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:16:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply but how do you know when it is just a cold and at what point do I take action.
I would look out for when things change obviously, if they stop eating etc .
Do other people have pigs with colds at the moment? How long does a piggy cold last ..same as us?

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »
I've never had runny noses, but a few occasionally go off their food and look a bit sorry for themselves for a day or two. They go off their food - come out of the ark looking interested, but sniff, have a pee, and then go back. Personally, I would give a series of shots of penicillin (eg Pen and Strep) if you're worried.
It could be just a passing thing. In which case, just make sure the piglet is feeding okay.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:07:28 am »
Lots of pig keepers are reporting ruunny noses and colds in their pigs at the moment. So long as they're eating, drinking and doing what pigs are supposed to do, like humans let the cold run its course.
If the start coughing, scouring or go of their food call the vet as they'll probably need antibiotics.
All mine are snotty at the momement and i did wonder if it might be hayfever?? but they're bouncy naughty eating me out of house and home so i'm not unduly worried.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

pigwig

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the reassurances.
They are all still happy and running around spinning and entertaining us.
Feeding and drinking , definately less runny nosed. I have heard the odd cough or was it a snort......trying to stay positive but keeping a watchfull eye.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:34:17 am »
hi
i have a runny nose as well,  :D and there are tmes i ook and smell lke the girls too    ;)

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:06:04 am »
Hmmm, the smelling like a girl worries me a little.
Lets hope its because he has finally decided to have a bath and nothing else!(snigger, snigger) :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46:47 pm »
Hmmm, the smelling like a girl worries me a little.
Lets hope its because he has finally decided to have a bath and nothing else!(snigger, snigger) :wave:
:D :D :D
I am a girl  ;)..... (albeit an old one)..... my girls are my pigs and have been told by friends they are looking more and more like me!!!!!! or was it that i look more and more like them!! :pig: :pig: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »
Fortunately Hilary is much better looking than me  :D

Bioman

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 02:13:17 pm »
It could be rhinenitis, if they start "snuffling" get the vet out! Snuffling sounds different to a normal snort and pigs also breathing rate increases and deeper

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 03:47:20 pm »
rhinitis  is also identified by the nose being twisted and nose bleeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS