Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting out  (Read 2598 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Planting out
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:25 pm »
This is my first year at growing my own veg,in my tunnel i have some courgettes,cuecumber,peppers,chilli and toms,finally filled the raised bed with compost but can i plant all these in the same bed just that i read somewhere that certain veg should be planted together.The bed is 10ft x 5ft

Thanks

Karen

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Planting out
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:51:21 pm »
get a good veg growing book or look online, yes you need to plant certain groups together and have a rotation.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:00:10 pm »
Depends also on ventilation, some plants prefer to be nearer the door, others, like cucumbers, need misting. I have some Olive bushes in mine and they hated the draft from the rear vent so I had to move them.

Maybe do a quick internet search under something like 'where to plant tomatoes in a greenhouse', lot's of info comes up with planting tips. Search each of your chosen plants in turn and I think you won't go far wrong.

:wave:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »
Watch the courgettes they grow huge,I have one each in four in seperate 4ft x 4ft raised  beds. Dr Hessayons expert books will tell you all you need to know. Cant see a problem planting in sections but remember where you planted them as in a normal veg plot then you can rotate a bit next year. You will need to watch the greedy plants dont take all the goodness from the smaller ones, same with the water. Keep an air flow as well as you have some leafy ones there for being together inside. Go for it and see what happens , you may need to check the plants if they get too big and stagnate the tunnel but that can soon be sorted.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:37 am »
Hi there  :wave:  You will need to allow more room than you think for the tomatoes and courgettes.  When you first plant them out they look tiny compared to the space between them.  Some tomatoes can grow quite tall - I grow Sakura and they reach to about 8' and are a good 3' wide or more. Bush varieties take up even greater width, but some more usual indeterminates don't take up nearly so much space and light.  Courgettes will take up at least 3' in all directions. Depending on the variety you have grown (check on the seed packet) cucumbers usually need cane supports - I grow mine in a circle then wrap a lightweight fleece around them to keep the air around them moister than the other plants like, and also to keep any drafts off.  Peppers and chillies are much smaller plants, but their actual size depends on the variety./  I would grow these at the south side of your bed so they get the most light, and are not overshadowed by the taller, leafier plants.   Whether you can fit them all into your bed depends on how many of each you have.  Try making a scale drawing of the bed and marking in a circle how wide each plant will be, or just sit all the pots onto the bed and see if you can fit them all in.  As someone has mentioned, you do need enough room around the plants for air flow or you will be taken over with moulds etc. Once tomatoes start ripening trusses you can remove the leaves (using a sterile knife) below each ripening truss which allows better airflow.  I don't grow in a bed system which gives me more flexibility but means that I have to be very careful with ventilation. Let us know how you get on and have fun growing veg.
This is my first year at growing my own veg,in my tunnel i have some courgettes,cuecumber,peppers,chilli and toms,finally filled the raised bed with compost but can i plant all these in the same bed just that i read somewhere that certain veg should be planted together.The bed is 10ft x 5ft

Thanks

Karen
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS