Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lillian  (Read 4615 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Lillian
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
appeared at the farm as a kitten of about 5 months.  Not sure if she strayed or was dumped here.  All white except for a black mark on her head and a stripey black and white tail.  This was 6 years ago, and we now have an array of white cats with black mark on their heads and a stripey tail, some are long haired, others short haired like Lillian, but you can tell they are all related.  She also had a selecton of black and whte and grey and white kittens, all grown up now, and living with families I know, so I get to see them when I visit.  We also have her grandchildren, Little Blue has two of those.

During the recent dry weather Lillian has been spending all her time on the railway enbankment, and I have seen her walking along the side of the busy railway too.  I did worry, she would get in front of a train, but being white, I would often see her up there, so knew she was ok.  Occasionally when I shouted she would come down to the old caravan and have some food - I always left some biscuits on "her" shelf (she never ate with the others)

On Monday, I was surprised to find Lillian in the caravan with the others, but assumed it was the horrible heavy rain every day, forced her to come inside.
She was eating, but spent a lot of time asleep.  Again I assumed she was just resting after her long hunting session.    Yesterday morniing she was not on her cushion, but sitting in the cupboard with two of her grandchildren!! I moved the kittens out of the cupboard, and put food in for Lillian, which she ate. Last night I went to feed the cats, and was so upset to find Lillian curled up.  I spoke to her, and gently moved her, but she was cold, and stiff.  I was so upset, she appeared to have died in her sleep .......stroked her a few times, and thought how peaceful she looked.

Went to get Lillian this morning so hubby could bury her - got the shock of my life when  she was sat upright yawning and looking for her breakfast.  Ate her food, and I had to go and tell hubby he did not need his  spade after all.  Have booked her in the vets for him to look at her this evening

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:18:31 am by Roxy »

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Lillian
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:05 am »
Wow, what a story, and a nice shock when you found her alive!  Look forward to hearing the update after the vet visit.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:24:15 pm »
Crikey!  And she can do that another 8 times, can she??!   ;)   My heart wouldn't take it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:24:04 pm »
 :'( :'(  ;D ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:35 pm »
Just as well she did wake up before she was laid to rest  ;D

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:56:51 pm »
oh Roxy what a lucky puss!!!! what if you had buried her?  :'( really glad she's ok. Lost my chili bean a few weeks ago I was heart broken, mind she was an old lady of 18
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:10:12 pm »
bless her! so lucky she moved before the shovelling started!

her grandsons (grand-kittens?!) are great by the way. Frankie was playing with a frog earlier - its squealing upset the guinea pigs so imagine the commotion!  I returned it safely to the pond, but he still roped Alfie in to help him look for it!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »
Lillian went to the vets - under protest at being in the cat carrier and in the van.  She was very good in the vets, and let the nice man look in her mouth, her eyes, but did wriggle when he went to take her temperature.  He said her temp was high, and without doing "further investigation (blood tests etc. I presume) it was hard to say what was wrong.  As she is a farm cat, he said it may be better to put her to sleep (cheaper option)  well, not cheap even for that at our surgery.  But he did offer to assume its a viral infection, and give her an antibiotic jab to see if that will help.  He said in a matter of fact way, that she will either feel better in the morning, or die, and if she does not get better or die, then we will discuss having her pts!!!!

Lillian is now tucked up in the big dog crate, with plenty of hay round her, and she demanded supper (having had tea earlier!)

One of the black and white kittens has a sticky eye, which is often the case with kittens.  Knowing how quick it spreads, I asked vet for some ointment, but no, cannot do this without seeing kitten.  That is £23.00 consulation cost, then the ointment, which is about £8 for a tiny tube, plus VAT.  Therefore, I am bathing the eye in warm water :D  Lillians jab and consulation was £31.68

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:16 am »
Aw poor Lillian hope she picks up, they are funny things cats. Deaths door one minute, then demanding food went on with mine for about 5 years finally had her pts about 2 months ago.

fingers crossed for her  :love:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:27:14 pm »
You could try asking at a pharmacy for some chloramphenicol eye drops and ointment for the kitten. Bathe the eyes first to remove the gunge then apply a small amount, twice a day for 5-7 days
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »
Thank you for that info - I assume these are for human use really?  I will definitely ask at the chemist,. our local one does seem very helpful.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »
It will be the same as we used in practice.  My brother has a dog with dry eye and has to have artificial tears they are a lot less from the chemist than the vets. You can also buy veterinary drugs from the internet now with a prescription from the vets, but the animal does need to be diagnosed by the vet and checked at 6-12 month intervals but would work out cheaper.
Good luck

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:55 am »
Forgot to put an update about Lillian.

Morning after the vet visit, she was much improved ....so no need for the vets offered lethal jab. 

She is still inside though, as I want to get her speyed before she does her runner back to the railway enbankment.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 07:15:49 am »
Glad she's doing well.  A relief for you.  :)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:35 am »
So pleased she is doing well. They are such a worry but keep us on our toes!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS