Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: environmentally friendly wood preserve for fence posts?  (Read 12547 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
environmentally friendly wood preserve for fence posts?
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »
I was going to use old fashioned creosote to treat my fence stakes but after reading up on it a bit it put me off.  Its a fence for my chickens and its next to my vege plot, dont fancy any of those chemicals leaching into the soil.

So now I'm trying to find something a bit more environmentally friendly, want something that will preserve the wood without being too harmful.

Anyone know of anything half decent?

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: environmentally friendly wood preserve for fence posts?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:52:50 pm »
I was going to use old fashioned creosote to treat my fence stakes but after reading up on it a bit it put me off.  Its a fence for my chickens and its next to my vege plot, dont fancy any of those chemicals leaching into the soil.

So now I'm trying to find something a bit more environmentally friendly, want something that will preserve the wood without being too harmful.

Anyone know of anything half decent?

You cant buy creosote anymore but the repacement 'creote' or some such is supposedly more enviromentally friendly,

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »
I was going to make my own with old engine oil and diesel but thought against it after reading up on it.  I think the creosote substitute is just a watered down version.

I'll add that since its only 20 posts that Im treating that I can consider doing something that would not be done on a large scale.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »
coley can you not get coal tar creosote any more           what do the GPO use to treat there new poles

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:40:59 pm »
You can still buy creosote. They made it illegal to sell it to joe public but a legitimate business person may still buy it albeit in larger amounts. They sell it where I work in 25 litre drums. There is no requirement for the seller to establish wether the customer is a business user or not.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »
I read that it leaches into the soil and then can get into the food chain, thats what put me off using it.  But you never know what to believe any more.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:45:26 pm »
after posting i googled it and got the safety reports        pages and pages of scientific experiments        and round the world bad reports of people swalloing it            well would you ingest it dont think so      it would have woried me if they said pole erectors had a high incidence of dropping down dead           but no unless i have missed that part :farmer:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
If you read any of the old books about poultry keeping they all tell you to give chicken houses a good dose of creosote to preserve the wood and to rid and or prevent mites. Never heard of any problems with it. Must take a while for the smell to go though.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:55:51 pm »
yeah its good for that but I'm talking about it leaching into the ground through my posts, into the soil and then into the veg and grass, just dont like that thought.

ANyway after much searching I found a product which is environmentally friendly, its called green leaf lifetime treatment, I think it originates from Canada, water based and non toxic, one application treats the wood for life.  It does something to the structure of the wood to stop it ever rotting, genius.

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:15:01 am »
Just bought creosote in 5 litre containers from Wickes for the shed.  I think the point is that its the unfriendliness of the stuff which makes it a preservative.  Had some pressure treated environmentally friendly fence posts that have rotted in under 4 years.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 01:00:56 pm »
I was once told that the choice is between treated soft wood posts or untreated hard wood posts.  I think they said that the treatment should make the soft wood last about half as long as the untreated hard wood (ie, 10 and 20 years respectively.)  Some areas used to grow a lot of chestnut for fencing but now we only seem to grow softwoods.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
I have seen advertised somewhere, possibly in the NFU comic, a plastic wrap for fence posts which is claimed to extend their life dramatically.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:14:08 am »
You can still get untreated chestnut posts they sell them where I work. They're about the same price as softwood but are a bit trickier to use as many of them aren't very straight. They're from coppiced woodland so fine for all the tree huggers as they are, like, sustainable, man.

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 10:57:35 pm »
I was going to make my own with old engine oil and diesel but thought against it after reading up on it.  I think the creosote substitute is just a watered down version.

Thats what I generally use, lasts for ages and the stuff that drips off kills the weeds plus it stops the shetlands from chewing the top bars

pasture eyes

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 04:45:01 pm »
If you don't have too many posts to put in you can do the following, which I did with softwood posts 17 years ago - and they are still going strong !    Set the posts out where you can get to turn them easily, using a blowtorch, go all round the points to the depth they are to be driven into ground + 6"   char them till they are just slightly charcoal like, then drive them in  -  they'll last for years.    :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS