Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question  (Read 3485 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Question
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:55:09 am »
Hi, I am just about to sit the exam for the Animal movement certificate, I have been sent a sample test paper, one question I am puzzling over regarding goats I would appreciate help with.
They are all multiple choice answers (multiple guess in my case)!!!!!!!! question as follows.

Which of the following charecteristics would you NOT associate with goats.

a. Being Alert
b. Being inquisitive
c. Being sociable in cramped conditions
d. Being aggressive.

I am torn between c and d not having had a lot to do with goats, can they be aggressive? I imagine they might not be happy in cramped conditions, help please.

Thanks

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:11:50 am »
c - without a doubt!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:04 am »
c - without a doubt!

totally agree with Fifi (based on my own goats that is) x 

good luck with the exam!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 09:26:41 am »
Now I would have gone for 'd'.    Reasons:  if the animal is inquisitive & alert, then it is likely to be sociable.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:01 am »
I would also go with d. Goats can be quite happy in cramped conditions if they know each other and get on, I have seen people's set-up with quite a few goats in fairy small pens (family groups). As long as there is no serious bullying it works. However a goat should never be aggressive, it means it probably has been mistreated in the past or is in pain or similar.

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:31 pm »
 iv got 4 in a stable at night and one nanny does but the other quite hard but mainly over feed issues. i know ur supposed to keep horned and unhorned sep. presumably as one has a "weapon" and the other doesnt.
iv never kept a billy, are they aggressive?
my nannies would rather run away. so id go for d.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:20:28 pm »
My 3 oldest are re-defining the pecking order and are so mean to the one they are dominating - butt, push, run at - you name it!  the yearlings are the same when feeding.  Aggressive - or just natural behaviour?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »
My goatlings are really bad right now, attacking the two GG's all the time. So they can only be outside with their own dam, or one goatling at a time with the whole herd, as she is then thrown a bit and has no back-up. Other goatling has to be inside with someone else, but still shouts all the time.... teenagers hey....

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 02:20:05 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for your replies, might just leave that one blank!! will let you know what  :goat: :wave: answer LANTRA are expecting but any further advice would be most welcome.

Thanks again

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:52:55 pm »
Mine used to be shut in at night, there was 4 at that point and then 3 and throughout this time there was much butting and bullying but during the day when they were free to roam, they chose to be close together and quite peaceable.
much better now as they 'live out' with the option of a shed if it rains etc  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 05:30:24 pm »
Do you have to take exams for the bl***y things now! ::)
Stupid things multiple questions!You should be able to write your answer and give reasons!
Sorry of coarse the answer is because they don't know the answer either ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:46:18 pm by jinglejoys »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS