Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Please someone turn off the tap  (Read 25545 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Please someone turn off the tap
« on: January 11, 2008, 05:37:17 pm »
Its raining, the gentle bubbling stream of yesterday has become the terror flood throwing itself across the fields creeping towards the arcs with deadly insistence.  The pigs are in their element, digging in the ooze.  My wellingtons will never ever recover.  Does anyone know where to apply to have the tap turned off for a few days? 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Please someone turn off the tap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:40:10 pm »
If I knew, I would do it. To be fair, we had some sunshine today (I was at work, but saw it through the window) but there seems to be bad flooding in Gloscestershire.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:10:32 pm »
yeah i have been in south wales for the last couple of days and it is the worst rain i  have seen for ages. We travelled from scotland in blistered only to find that it never stopped rainning untill the last day and then when we came back up only to find that later in the day they got rain,sleet and snow all with in minites of each other.

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:26:07 pm »
oh yes ...good ole Wales ...we get the lot here...although the sun word never gets used that much !!!! I call the land the Somme, in winter. Knee deep in mud with the consistancy of single cream . Oh the good life ?????? if you could hear my language when I am feeding the horses in howling wind and torrential rain , you wouldn't call it the good life. The other day it was very windy and rainy and as I turned, to go and get some more haylage for the horses , the wind caught my waterproof filled it with wind like a parachute ,and I nearly took off . The only thing that kept me on the ground was the mud ,top of welly boot deep. I do tend to use the word WHY a lot....plus a few others I can't type out on here..........................

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:43:28 pm »
hehe lots of rain.
Linz

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:51:45 am »
mud mud glorious mud, nothing quite like it for.......  getting your wellies stuck as ever growing pig beasts try to get the bucket of feed out of your grip, ending in a another pile of very muddy clothes. also much hideous language which i'm sure my neighbours can hear. i pulled something in my back this weekend trying to sort out new pig fencing, so i could move them onto slighly shallower mud. ( wrenched my arm last week trying to stop male pig wrecking fence). every time i leave a container alone for a day or two i am amazed at how much water is in it. i have to laugh when i look at my reflection, bedraggled and mud splattered, wellies, waterproofs, wooly hat and gloves all soaked through, dragging stuff about in stormy weather. for what?  the sheer fun of it all, the fresh air, the exercise and the tasty rewarding meals.
please, if you know where the tap is ... give it a turn for a week or two.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:34:30 am »
but that what you signed up for, it's in the small print !!!
:) hehe
linz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:04:27 pm »
Stream has joined up with pond.  The fences are drowning, pig water container has floated off somewhere, pigs have helped by chewing the roots of an oak tree bringing it down over the fences.  Postman came in very late having rounded up several of them.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:01:32 pm »
We have just spent the last five hours securing the bakery roof with ropes - re fencing in order to move Vanessa and Delboy to safety, and wheelbarrowing a ton of straw to there new quarters which was taken by the wind over and over again. Just now  have been let off the hook while John is still out there now doubling up on the feed for everyone. I came in soaked to the skin, my wellies were sloshing inside and every single layer was stuck to my skin. I cannot remember feeling so cold. I peeled off at the door and have just come out of a very hot shower which was a big mistake because my face now looks like a tomatoe, my legs are red and blochy and itchy and I have pins and needles in my hands and feet. It is hell on earth here in Normandy. I really did not sign up for this!

You cannot see where the stream ends and the ponds begin. The water containers are goodness knows where - the water baths are overflowing and gushing - the pigs are piled high in a pyramid sensibly keeping out of it all and the stupid chickens instead of staying inside, are now being blown around in the wind hardly able to stand. Hopefully when they follow the food bucket John can lock them in. Even the geese are sensible to stay in their huts on the pond. The only happy ones are the ducks who are in ducky heaven and rooting around in the mud having a great time.

DOES ANYONE ON THIS FORUM HAVE ANY NICE WEATHER - YOU KNOW THAT BIG YELLOW BALL CALLED THE SUN? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY NICE WARM BREEZES RUSHING THROUGH THEIR HAIR?

Dreqm on I suppose! Now I am off to make a nice cup of ever so sweet tea, and I don't even have sugar in my tea, but in the absence of comfort food which I still have to make, sweet tea will have to do!

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

rustyme

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 03:06:44 pm »
sorry to hear about all the mishaps......it has been a lovely day here today ....but loads of rain all lastnight. Rivers over the top etc etc...but apart from just being even wetter than normal, nothing terrible has happened on my land,(so far).  At least you will have some fire wood from the Oak (if it is yours?). Hope you get it all sorted ok soon .Good luck  !!!!

cheers

Russ

rustyme

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 03:17:50 pm »
Just read your post Kate,
                               blimey , sounds like you are getting it bad out there.....I really don't want to rub it in ...but yes we have nice weather here today . Gone a bit cloudy now, but it has been sunny and warm all day ......From the knees up it has been great ...from knees down it is even deeper creamier mud ... I really do hope the weather breaks for you soon out there. Here it is set for more and more rain and wind, so we may get what you are getting soon. I think it is worse over on the eastern side of the UK ,so we must just be lucky for a change. Enjoy the tea, and try to forget about the wet clothes !!! ( oh how I detest getting that wet) .

cheers

Russ

weather update.....just seen the news and there are 49 flood warnings in England and Wales. Severe weather warnings in place too. They are saying that flash floods are probable all week . Loads of places already flooded ,roads closed and people getting ready to get out.  Time for another coffee I think ....Russ

weather update update.....3.30pm here now and the clouds have turned very black and the rain is just starting ...here we go again.....at least we did see the sun here....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:30:23 pm by rustyme »

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 03:41:57 pm »
its been raining down here in kent all day! very grim! still the comute to work was fun splashing through all the puddles like a 5 year old!! could only see 1 tree blown over and one car smashed up on exactly the same place i almost got hit by a rubbish lorry a couple of weeks ago (through no fault of my own!!) im dreading going home incase the roofs have blown off the cat runs and chicken run again! that will be me up a ladder / clambering over the roof of the summer house with a drill and screws in the pitch black! still i dont envy those of you who have to trapse through all the thick mud! being an office worker does it seems have its benefits after all!!!  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39:08 pm »
Have dug a trench from our pond to the stream which is helping to alleviate some of the flooding.  The road at both ends is under water, but good news the tammies have finally decided to go back into their field and stay there.  Kate I am thinking of you.  HM

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:15:43 pm »
John finally came in - 9 hours later! There were no words - he peeled everything off at the door and
re - appeared half an hour later in joggers and dressing gown ready for a well earned casserole.  Delboy and Vanessa are now settled into their new home, and despite the problems getting it there, they are enjoying the straw, and all that could be seen at 6 o'clock were contented piggy noses peeping through.

What a day! Good luck to everyone if this weather we have had today is heading in your direction.

Steven please don't go up any ladders - be careful!

To every one out there, be snug tonight and well dressed tommorrow! 

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 08:52:16 pm »
It's rained here for a couple of days. The field is full of very large puddles. The horses have had to stay in for 2 days now (they aren't happy about that). I had a walk over the field earlier to see what the drainage dyke is like at the back of the field, it is looking quite full. I'm hoping it wont get as bad as it did in the summer, when the field was totally under water for a night. I'm having to walk through lots of mud all the time (roll on summer), at least i haven't got lots of animals to see too, just the horses, chickens and ferrets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS