Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lighting for chicken shed  (Read 3437 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Lighting for chicken shed
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:05:59 pm »
Because of the demand for our eggs  :), I think I should light the chicken houses this winter. Anyone offer any help / tips re solar or battery. The houses are for 40 birds so not huge but will be too far from the house to safely run a cable.

Thanks

Sandy

Re: Lighting for chicken shed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:36 am »
We had a gardener stay here and he put a solar light up in a shed and it was very bright!! I bought 2 sets of fairy lights last year for the garden, one set Rhum chewed the end off and the other has been brightly lit ever since and they were only £15 so I am sure there are some solar lights that would suit, I love them, if I could I would have them in our garage as I was so suprised there was enough light all year around!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:37:09 am »
there are some good solar lights available, does the light need to simulate daylight? because that will be harder to achieve!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:35 am »
It needs to come on in the morning early enough to give the hens 14 hours of daylight to keep them laying. It can go off once it's daylight and they will have a natural dusk.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 01:35:55 pm »
Any light will do, on a timer switch. Don't know about battery, as ours runs on a cable from the goathouse. We extend both ends of the day, otherwise it will have to go on pretty early in December to make 12 hours daylight... and remember the earlier it comes on, the cockerel will be thinking it is morning and announcing it to all and sundry.... so evening might actually be better. Especially if you are using a solar powered one.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »
The theory is that they should have a natural dusk so that they go to roost normally. Take your point about the early crowing though - if it's dark at 4pm, the light will have to come on between 2am and 4am. Mind you he crows at that time now  ;D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
You can get solar lights on timers especially for chicken houses , cant remember where I have seen them but a quick google should bring them up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS