Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fencing  (Read 6632 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Electric Fencing
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:29:43 pm »
I was planning on getting an electric fence to give some of the ground a chance to recover where our Kunes have 'done the bulldozer' on it.

There's a starter kit on Ebay by a seller clled Paddock Perfection which looks to be the business. Just wondered what other people thought?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310312253012&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

HappyHippy

Re: Electric Fencing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:15:01 pm »
I can't comment of the fence set up (haven't tried 12 volt myself, though it looks okay) but I have used Paddock Perfection and found them good with service.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Hi we got our set up from them but i think we have a 9 volt battery and use it for our GOS
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:17:27 am »
Have a look on this site.  We got our box from them along with 3 others :) 3 others use them for horses i use them for my Kunes.  Brilliant box powerful thwack lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Energizer-REDYK-electric-netting-fencing-electrificador-/190472318135?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item2c5908ecb7

For got to put the bloody link in .... i am such a div sometimes lol
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:08:00 pm by welshlass181 »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:45:09 am »
We have the Gallagher battery master fencer unit, and it is a good one.

You can buy it seperately for £120!

http://www.farmway.co.uk/gallagher-electric-fencing-56/energisers-90/gallagher-battery-master-electric-2003.htm

So overall price for your ebay deal looks ok

I would however go for white horse tape, rather than green polywire, as pigs see white tape much more easily.  With white tape you can also visually check the tape just by standing and looking, whereas with green polywire, you'll need to walk the dence to check that they have not buried part of it.

You can buy 200m for about £15

eg

http://www.equinesuperstore.co.uk/fencing-accessories/hotline-electric-fencing/supecharge-10mm-tape.bhtml

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:09:23 am »
I've bought stuff from that company on eBay in the past and it's been great. They're also very helpful if you contact them for advice.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »

Thanks for all the comments, folks, especially the positives from those of you who've dealt with this seller before.

I'll ask them whether they can substitute white tape for the green, and take a look at Welsh Lass's alternative seller.

Cheers
Gary

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:15:06 pm »
I've bought that exact kit from them, and lots of other stuff too, they're a very good company to deal with. I got my stuff for the horses, but did buy the white rope for the pigs.  Old car batteries are brilliant if you can get hold of some.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:45:08 pm »
Old car batteries are brilliant if you can get hold of some.
Oh, got two or three of them in the shed. No probs. The wife'll be pleased to see some of my junk being put to good use.

:)

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »
getting a "kick " from a 8 thousand volt electric fence should teach them, I know I was sore for 2 days. :wave:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 10:23:38 am »
Another 'plus' for paddock perfection - I think we have a similar kit which we now use for 'strip ploughing' as we've gone for a mains energiser.  Hell of a kick though!!!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 10:29:39 pm »

Thanks. I'll be ordering it this weekend.

I emailed them and they were happy to swap the green for white tape.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 11:07:58 pm »
Joined this thread a little late - I'd go for the white tape every time for my KKs - it may not be so aesthetically pleasing for us, but at least the piggies can see it more easily ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58:12 pm »

Just to round off the thread - I ordered it from Paddock Perfection who were very helpful and only too happy to swap the green tape for white.

It arrived on Saturday and I set it up this afternoon.

I've set it up initially to try and keep the pigs away from the henhouse, which they keep moving around, as a single-strand roughly 18" above the ground and connected it to a 44Ah 12V car battery and solar panel to trickle-charge it.

First reactions from the piggies was a very loud and unimpressed squeal, followed by a leap and a gallop round the paddock. So, that works :)

Hamish did initially go the wrong way, into the henhouse area but soon found his way back out again (with another squeal) so I might try lowering the tape a few inches, but I'm sure they'll soon learn to keep their distance from it.

waterhouse

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:45:38 pm »
I'm another happy customer of PP

Do keep an eye on leakage from stuff touching the tape (keep it taught) and a really good earth connection is vital

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS