Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep feet and deckchairs!  (Read 4331 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
sheep feet and deckchairs!
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:00 pm »
thought that would catch your attention!!!

Ok I need to learn how to trim my sheep's feet. what do you use - a knife or those clipper things? pros and cons of each?

Also - this is the deckchair bit- i have seen those sheep seats on e-bay. they sort of look like deckchairs for our wooly friends. Are they any use? these one are less than £20. sounds reasonable. Am I daft or will they help me...i would be able to work by myself....without killing my back.
cheers Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: sheep feet and deckchairs!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:13:27 pm »
We use the deckchair for trimming our lambs feet until they are big enough to go into the turnover crate. We have in the past used them on the sheep, you basically walk them backwards into them.
I personally use foot shears a lot less dangerous. :sheep: :sheep:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:32:04 pm »
£20 sounds a bargain price, I've seen them for about £60 on Ascot (I think). Handy to have if you are trimming on your own without a crate. When I had Charollais, the rams were too big and heavy for me to turn, so I trimmed them standing up like a horse !! Amazing what you can do when their heads in a bucket of nuts. As Kaz said, foot shears are less dangerous and much easier than a knife - do you have a local shepherd that can give you quick trimming lesson ?  :sheep:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:33:57 pm by BadgerFace »
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:49:16 pm »
yes i will  getting a bit of training from my local sheep friend. Its good to hear different opinions though. I like the sound of the deck chairs for the solo shepherd. bought some shears this afternoon along with heaps of other lambing stuff.
cheers emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:23:35 pm »
Hi, regarding foot trimming we have found pruning shears but with long straight edge not curved are easier to use especially for fiddly feet rather than the traditional ones

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »
We use foot shears - just make sure they're sharp and don't assume new ones are. A friend of ours bought new shears and they were quite blunt.

We turn ours - or at least Dan does, but I was talking to Jinx the other day, bent over and picked up her hoof like a horse. So tomorrow, I'm going to try it that way.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:58:11 am »
We always do our very pregnant sheep like a horses hoof.  Less stress for them in their final stages as their feet grow like mad when they are pregnant. :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS