Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping and underweather Duck  (Read 5274 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Limping and underweather Duck
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:30 pm »
Hi all,

As the heading says i have a Duck with a very bad limp who since starting to limp is becoming gradually less dapper. (if you follow)

About a week ago now i noticed that she was hobbling a little but i put it down to a stave when landing after one of her high speed low hight flying sessions. But in 24 hours she was hardly putting any weight on it hence limping very badly. I have cleaned the foot and leg, can see no cuts or spelks, i have limited the all the ducks access to free running, (and indeed  swimming water as i find the drake to be very very rough with the girls in water, so they get a bath with the hose once a day for now.) to reduce any impact on the leg.

The limp seems to getting worse on a daily basis, i have felt the leg, feet and thigh for any swellings and can't find any. i have felt her toes very carefully for any broken bones, (compared how hers felt to the others) and it all seems normal.

I have given her a dose of sugar water to boost her energy, and fed her luke warm water incase of a cold, but it also seems to be getting worse.

I have done about all i can do, has anybody got any suggestions?

Should i wait it out or take her to the dreaded vet?

many thanks in advance

Cameron  :&>

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Limping and underweather Duck
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:30:27 pm »
Sometimes mine get limps but I leave them on the burn swimming as that takes the weight off and swimming is good therapy. Mine get goosed! or just trampled down the ramp as they run out to cause the limps. This does sound more serious though, could it be a dislocation? or a fracture rather than a break? Try giving her a complete rest in a private area where she has to rest but it does sound like she wants a check over to see if she is suffering with something you cant detect.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:33:58 pm »
Since she is becoming less dapper and the limp is getting worse I would be worried about infection somewhere. The other possibility if she is an older duck is that she has a kidney problem. Since the blood vessels in birds pass through the kidneys on the way from the legs it is possible for kidney problems to cause lameness. I would take her to the vet especially as things appear to be deteriorating.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »
I should have probable mentioned she is not yet a year old and a Runner duck, just incase breed amkes any difference.

I can't feel any obvious dislocation, but then again it may have popped back in itself. I have since posting this put her in her own crate separated from the ret, though close enough to keep them all calm.
I will look into sorting her a dooking pond tomorrow so she can keep the weight off.

But if there is no real improvement by say 2pm tomorrow i will see about taking her to the drop in at the local vet.

thanks hermit and hopewell - very helpfull and reassuring

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:19:17 pm »
Dont leave her in something she cant get out of on her own easily, I have had healthy ducks die from exhaustion from trying to get out of a bucket left for the horses.   Good luck with her. I have let mine have a bit if therapy in the bath before now.    ssshhhh dont tell OH   ;D
 Learned something new there about the kidneys as well!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »
I won't, i'm going to leave her in her crate, with a shallow oil drip tray with a ramp to get in and out.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:25 pm »
She may have an infection in a joint in which case she will need anti-biotic. The longer you leave it the worse it will get.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »
She seems much better today, still a little sore, but has most defiantly perked up.

Still keeping an eye on her but the immediate future is looking better

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:10:25 pm »
Hi Cameron, I had a runner drake once who had what sounds like identical symptoms - it was at this time of year when there are a lot of big bees around and we thought he perhaps had been stung in the foot.  All our hens made the most of the opportunity and ganged up on him for a good pecking session and so we isolated him - after about 3 or 4 days he was fine.  There are quite a lot of bees lurking in the undergrowth just now so it is perhaps a possibility... hope all's well by tomorrow...ducks are such lovely creatures. :'(
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:15:30 pm »
Hope she is ok I love my ducks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS