Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wind Farms  (Read 37159 times)

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Wind Farms
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »

they are either very old permissions or super insulated to compensate
Aye, thats the wriggle, the previous lot were going to ensure all new build were going to have solar and local turbines but that was quickly watered down by the building lobby to 'super insulated'

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2011, 06:18:48 pm »
So, none of us has mentioned anaerobic digesters yet....

Good idea for local heating and generation, and it could be useful on a national level, given the amount of 'anaerobic material' dumped in the sea or landfill, actually there is research going on to see if it can be used to 'digest' coal in seam to produce methane.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »
Ah, looks like I need some education.  I thought the anaerobic digesters basically ran on cow poo, and needed to be sited in conjunction with a 'zero-grazing' (cattle indoors all the time so their poo can be collected) cattle operation.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:58 pm »

Coley, I think we are close to agreeing re: nuclear - there's going to be a need for some nuclear in the near future - I don't like it and, personally would prefer a more radical energy consumption reduction strategy - but that's not going to happen.

I doubt anyone likes the idea but realism rules

As for the wind farms; well I still think they should be increased to a practical maximum (we're not there yet) as they are the more established renewable source. So I support the current drive to build more.

Fair enough, provided we have backup for when there is no wind and I still think offshore is a better alternative

personally I don't see some minor scheduled blackouts as a disaster - in fact, the sooner they start them the sooner people will appreciate the need for conservation.

If alternatives arent in place I think we will be looking at more than 'minor blackouts' dont forget we are going to lose 40% of our generation capacity, that equals more than 'minor blackouts'

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2011, 07:38:51 pm »
Ah, looks like I need some education.  I thought the anaerobic digesters basically ran on cow poo, and needed to be sited in conjunction with a 'zero-grazing' (cattle indoors all the time so their poo can be collected) cattle operation.

Any waste product (poo/manure if you like ;D) can be used, as can any green waste and some crops are grown for the purpose.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS