Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My cat could start her own business  (Read 4418 times)

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
My cat could start her own business
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:59 pm »
My cat has decided she is bored with catching baby rabbits, and has now moved onto moles!!!

Feel like spying on her to find out how she does it, think she must lay in wait at a mole hole and pounce when they poke their heads up.

Think we could rent her out to golf courses etc as a mole catcher!!!  :cat:

Sandy

Re: My cat could start her own business
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:25:48 pm »
Maybe you could but I bet she would not perform for them or you, cats are so independant. Something very sweet about Moles!! not in nice lawns though  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:30:00 pm »
Maybe you could but I bet she would not perform for them or you, cats are so independant. Something very sweet about Moles!! not in nice lawns though  ;)
Nothing sweet about their teeth though.  Oen of my dogs caught one and it turned itself round and bit his lip and hung onto it - till his mate hearing his screams flew from the other side of the field and crunched it - dead! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »
Nothing sweet about their teeth though.  Oen of my dogs caught one and it turned itself round and bit his lip and hung onto it - till his mate hearing his screams flew from the other side of the field and crunched it - dead! ;D ;D ;D

Havent seen a mole up close before she got this latest fad - they have HUGE teeth for such a little creature!!  They were bigger than I thought too.  She somehow manages to kill things without leaving a single mark on them  :o

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:00 pm »
You can save them up and skin them to make some mole skin trousers!!!!! ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:16:53 am »
I tried that - had lots of little skins all laid out salting, but they kept disappearing.  Eventually we realised that an enterprising rat was taking them to line her nest  ;D  Now the terriers have caught all the rats so that's not a problem but they have also caught most of the moles.  We used to have a huge dog who was wonderful as a mole catcher - she would wait patiently for ages, with one foot up, then suddenly do a huge polar bear leap onto the mole just as it popped its head up.  The terriers now try the same trick but they don't have the patience.  As for the cat - no chance, she's far too busy taunting the swallows.
It would be wonderfful if you could catch your super-puss on camera catching a mole  :cat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

wildgeese

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 03:29:41 am »
At one time I had three cats one of whom - but no-body was admitting who - caught a mole, decided it wasn't what they wanted and let it go in my bedroom in the early hours of the morning. I was woken by the sound of it zooming round the skirtingboard and trying to bury itself in the wooden flooring. I wondered what on earth it could be; it sounded a whole lot bigger than it was. The cats refused to catch it and sat on the bed watching me, in a state of undress, on all fours stalking the poor creature.

I have actually held one before now (rescued it from the road) - this was before I realised they could bite! I wasn't bitten but neither could I hold onto it; the strength in their front paws is amazing; they prise open your fingers and slide through; you might as well try to get a grip on water.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:08 am »
moles a very interesting subject
the mole skin trousers are a material(i am sure )my mother had a mole skin coat (dressed) and you could see the joints betwean the skins         in this stupid day and age i would not recommend anyone to even think  of using an animal pelt  to wear
it is fascinating to watch a mole escape into the ground       even with clay (hard dry and compacted)they will burrow there way in
maybe i am just lucky in the amount of moles that i have caught and demonstated to my children and work mates

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »
Hi Robert.  I think sheepskin is still politically correct as clothing, also maybe rabbit so moles will be fine.  It's animals which are killed solely for their pelt which it is now unacceptable to wear, especially the endangered ones.  Yes, modern 'moleskin' as found in Barbour jacket pockets, is just a look-alike fabric - very disappointing  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »
Blimey, you would need a hell of a lot of moles to put me in a nice coat!!!!!!!!!!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »
now don't anybody misconstrue this     but my mother was slim i mean slim and there was one hell of a lot of skins in her coat(full length) :farmer:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:29:49 pm by robert waddell »

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »
my kids were burying a mole today that the cat had got.  :wave:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:22:19 pm »
Wildgeese, what a great image  :D

One morning our neighbour stopped by for a chat, having been mole hunting. As we chatted, one of the cats came by, a mole in her mouth. He was really impressed - until he realised she'd pinched one from the bucket of dead moles on his quad bike  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS