Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breaking news: Eggs are safe only if they have a lion on it...  (Read 6588 times)

Slavo

• Joined Sep 2010
ARGH ::) this winds me up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13386701

Without any regard for the wellbeing of the chickens which lay the eggs, without any representation of someone who may sell their eggs without the stamp and without any discussion into what those nasty shop eggs (don't) taste like.

Rant over, discuss  :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Breaking news: Eggs are safe only if they have a lion on it...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:25:28 pm »
I think there are enough folk with a brain who know this is a load of old tosh and still buy lovely farm eggs, genuinely fresh that day from the hen's bum.  :chook: :chook: :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »
I agree fleecewife, but there are plenty out there who will just take the word of the 'professional' I know, my mother in law is one of them!!!! We will soon find out how many more are out there, if the eggs sales decrease :) This is typical of journalism today no balanced view just scaremongering  >:(

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
just watched this crap. What happened to the advert that stated go to work on an egg a advert that is many many years old. It is getting to the point, we won't be able to eat anything unless it has a good safety symbol. When I was wee my mum used to have a pail for the milk, it was cold but was never pasteurised, uht, semi etc, and they was never the amount of people with bugs then as there are now. Just my thought on this

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »
another interesting subject    obviously there must not be enough celebs caught with there trousers down this week  and the standard of investigative journalism  has fallen with the trousers
salmonella  yes the eggs were infected all these years ago and why THE WILD BIRD POPULATION IS RIDDELED WITH IT at that time the wild birds were roosting and feeding at the feed mills crapping all over the feed and contaminating it no wonder the hens and subsequently the eggs were contaminated
the wild birds still are infected and feed mills sealed to prevent the ingress of birds            now if the birds (layers) are inoculated for salmonella then they have the bug in there system     so it is acceptable to have a permitted amount in the egg  (just as the permitted amount of dioxin was allowed in poultry and pig feed)   but no mention was made of this   obviously eggs must be to expensive just now when they have trotted this crap out via television :chook: :chook: :chook:            power to the free range egg

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
What a loadf of crap. But I don't think the poor souls who will be influenced by this sort of thing would have been buying fresh eggs direct from the poultry keeper anyway.

AengusOg

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »
At the risk of being shot down (and notwithstanding the fact that I have just eaten four home-produced eggs with an equal number of tattie scones), I wonder if they mean that the eggs with a stamp on them are 'guaranteed' to be safe, albeit insipid and of questionable vintage, to eat, in accordance with quality control, and that there can be no such guarantee given for eggs produced at home.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:39:53 pm by AengusOg »

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »
What we need is someone to breed a bird who can stamp the egg as it lays it!!!!

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:11:03 pm »
Easy, I can set my son a chore for earning his pocket money - drawing little lions on all the eggs with a red felt tip pen  :P

Try telling the queues of cars at our driveway gate each morning that come for the eggs from up to 15 miles away that the eggs are not good  >:(

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »
it would need to be food grade ink    egg shells are porous :chook:

AengusOg

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:16:18 pm »
Easy, I can set my son a chore for earning his pocket money - drawing little lions on all the eggs with a red felt tip pen  :P

That's good. ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39:09 am »
It is getting to the point, we won't be able to eat anything unless it has a good safety symbol. When I was wee my mum used to have a pail for the milk, it was cold but was never pasteurised, uht, semi etc, and they was never the amount of people with bugs then as there are now. Just my thought on this

Lillian, I couldn't agree more!  It feels great now that my Jersey is milking to be drinking udder-fresh milk almost direct from the cow.  I filter it through a clean hanky and keep it cool.  That's it.  I only pasteurise it for yoghurt, and I use Hillie's own lactobacillus to make soured cream, curd cheese, etc.  The taste is tremendous and we both feel that the daily addition of Hillie's friendly bacteria is entirely appropriate and good for our immune systems.

On immune systems, I have always believed that they need to be exercised just like any other aspect of the body.  And if you don't use it, you lose it.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 05:37:08 am »
Our whole food chain is awash with Salmonella - industrial meat production techniques exacerbate the problem.

Salmonella has been found in the mandibular lymph nodes (indicating recent infection and infiltration of salmonella into tissues) of pigs who have spent just two hours in lairage at a slaughter house (admittedly - this was in Portugal)

I have just finished doing some research into this and actually - I am amazed that we don't all get it on a regular basis. Mind you - having said that - alot of Salmonella is sub-clinical and people have mild or no symptoms.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 07:26:09 am »
If they are still importing eggs from third-world toilets like Brazil and Poland what do they expect?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:30 am »
Not to mention imported industrial killer veg, holy sh...  >:( :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS