Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP,any bee keepers near Burton on Trent  (Read 5119 times)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
HELP,any bee keepers near Burton on Trent
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:40:05 pm »
Hi all,just wondered if any keepers near me would offer some assistance please.I managed to pick up a small cast last year,i didnt expect them to survive the harsh winter lo and behold they did.Would a local to B-O-T member be so kind and advise if i need to put a super on yet.I wouldnt feel confident looking and i dont have a smoker.I will gladly cover traveling costs and offer a drink,thanks in advance.Paul

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: HELP,any bee keepers near Burton on Trent
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:43:24 pm »
Ooh err happy Larry!  i wish I was nearer!   Would suggest contacting your local beekeeping society asap!

Www.britishbee.org.uk

Should help you find your nearest.   Am sure there will be a beekeper near you who will help and if you join their group, I am sure they will be able to help you get confidence in having a look (although you will need to get a smoker!)

good luck.

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »
I agree with Greenerlife, contact your local beekeeping association. The advantage of joining your local association would be insurance, as well as some help and advice.

AndyMorton

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:15 am »
I'm just outside Uttoxeter. I'm pretty new to beekeeping myself, but I'm more than happy to help if I'm able to. Drop me a private message with a more exact location as to where you are and we'll try to sort something out.

Andy

:bee:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:39:49 am »
hi
the derbyshire bees have meetings every 1st tuesday
its very good and members come from quite away because its a good one.
meetings are very informative and meet in crich

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:11 pm »
Thanks for all your advice i do have a local to me beek coming to inspect on friday,i have known this chap since i got the cast,but didnt like asking him because i knew he was up to his eyes getting his own hives re set up plus i know he was mentoring someone else,and i didnt want to impose or put him under any pressure.
AndyMorton,pm on its way thanks.

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »
Well all is fine with the bees,10 frames full of stores,eggs and drone grubs the drone have been removed prob about half a frame in total.The super has been put on,just thought i would let you know.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:19:21 am »
Well all is fine with the bees,10 frames full of stores,eggs and drone grubs the drone have been removed prob about half a frame in total.The super has been put on,just thought i would let you know.

Glad to hear they're doing ok - just wondering why you removed the drones?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:13:55 pm »
The chap that had a look at them for me said it was a good idea to remove the drones,said something like it was a bit late for them in the brood box.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS