doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
RATS
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:21 pm »
Was anybody listening to Gardeners question time on Radio 4 this afternoon?  I was!  A question was asked about planting mint to deter rats!  None of the panel had ever heard of such a thing but a little squeaky voice said 'yes, it does work' and they introduced Amy the producer onto the show - apparently she had heard of it, planted mint, and also scattered some around the rat runs - and no more rats!  What's the betting Amy will have her own spot soon!  Maybe even her own programme!

Even the experts learn something new every day! 

I've just planted my pot of mint at the far side of the little wall separating the duck run/front paddock and the burn (next to a rat hole my son spotted), so I'll let you know if I see a mass exodus.     Apparently it's something to do with a rat's keen sense of smell and the pungent scent of mint.  I don't know what kind of mint I have but I'm willing to plant different varieties over there as there are 2 foot deep footings for the wall so that should contain it, and it can grow all it likes over there.   All that grows there otherwise is nettles and they are no more as my son strimmed the whole paddock this afternoon.

I could have a veritable mint farm over there, couldn't I?

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: RATS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »
Let us know if it works - would far rather plant mint than use poison :-\

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »
That would be brilliant if it works!

Just have to keep the sheep from eating it.

m

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »
 need to get some planted now!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:10:48 pm »
oooh I will have to raid the supermarket potted herbs now as I get them in all the barns and shelters. I would surround the buildings with mint if it works

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »
Off to get some seed/plants tomorrow then...  :)
Little Blue

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »
Garlic is said to deter rabbits too, which as far as my veg plot is concerned are a far bigger nuisance than rats.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:18:38 pm »
We have a big patch of two different sorts of mint and it doesn't seem to affect whether we have rats or not.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:47:32 pm »
We have a big patch of two different sorts of mint and it doesn't seem to affect whether we have rats or not.
Well I hope it works here.  The girl seemed to be quite sure - did no-one else hear that programme but me?  I'm sure I wasn't dreaming because I was driving to edinburgh Airport at the time  ;) ;D ;D ;D  Ah well teh mint will have fun sperading over there if not  ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:10:35 am »
My brothre ALWAYS listens to gardeners question time, he has rang in before...I just wish he was up here to enjoy things and input his knowledge......I will ask him to join as he reminds me of our beloved Wizard, full of knowledge,,,

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:53 pm »
I heard it Annie!  I just switched on to hear the discussion about all the Bay trees that have died over the winter. I have a Bay which is about 30 foot high which did not survive.  I just cant bring myself to chop it down, heard them say to cut everything back and give it a year. Will do that and keep fingers crossed however don't hold out much hope!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:20:35 pm »
Suppose you have to plant it and not just leave clumps hanging around?  What about opening a few jars of mint sauce, surely the vinegar content would be a bit off-putting too - or would that smell rat-licious? :P
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »
Does wild mint have the same effect as we have loads of it around?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »
Suppose you have to plant it and not just leave clumps hanging around?  What about opening a few jars of mint sauce, surely the vinegar content would be a bit off-putting too - or would that smell rat-licious? :P

Don't know about rat-licious but the flies would love it. I use jars with vinegar in and clingfilm with a small hole in to catch flies

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 11:10:53 pm »

Don't know about rat-licious but the flies would love it. I use jars with vinegar in and clingfilm with a small hole in to catch flies

Reckon my mates in  their  pest control business would roll over killing themselves laughing about planting mint to keep rats away  .... if I tell them .

I'd  imagine if this little gem were true the whole of the UK and the rest of the world would be knee deep in mint with not a rat left anywhere.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS