Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Native breed cattle classes at Lesmahagow show  (Read 8344 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Native breed cattle classes at Lesmahagow show
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 10:28:40 am »
Once again most animals travelling between shows are kept in isolation units, in fact if they do a lot of shows it is mandatory. The real risk is from those who attend only the odd show and do not use an isolation unit. Hope this clarifies things
Mandy  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 02:36:35 pm »
wer hoping to take maya, hoping the pig classes dont clash too much. we were practising this morning....not much panache tho, but gota start somewhere!!  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 02:58:40 pm »
princess are you bringing cattle as well :cow: :pig: :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 10:38:18 am »
wer hopin to bring 2 weaners and one heifer if i can juggle them all with the timings.

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:47:26 am »
that is fantastic and good on you for making the effort :pig: :pig: :cow: :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 12:32:42 pm »
if think Daala is conformationally the better cow, but Maya is tamer (and my favourite) so we'l bring her as its our first time with pigs and cows. i hope its not a too posher show incase we embarrass ourselves!! i presume cows only have to walk and not trot up like ponies...we watched the cattle classes at turriff last year but i cant remember. shes a shetland. i presume she'l be upgainst dexters (are they native?) and highlands. quite a variety.
 :wave: :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:49 pm »
contact izzy the show secretary   she will keep you right with the cattle  remember to fill out your forms(entry and movement) any problem just contact us  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 10:57:50 pm »
Sorry to harp back to the "show or high health status (protecting your herd)" but there is more than one thing to consider. Health status is tremendously important, and there are scary diseases out there. Well enough do I remember that awful night we had to evacuate out of Dumfries show because Foot and Mouth was confirmed- I don't know that I have ever been as scared.

But- Shetland cattle are a rare breed. So what better way of letting people see how beautiful and important these cattle are than by showing? If by seeing some Shetland cattle at a show, you convert just one other person into someone who keeps and breeds them, surely that is worth it. 

Beth

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:41 pm »
wev been training anyway, up and down our road. shes being really good too, thats why i like shows, they give u a deadline to do certain things like handling. so easy to put it off if u dont need to. just hope she behaves under pressure  :o her horns just stick out at right angles at the mo,  :o :o
im thinking that taking any animal to a show, puts your stock at risk, unless disinfect your tyres, boots, hooves etc.
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS